Data breaches

aussiefooty

I was reading something on xenforo forums about giving strangers admin access to forums.
I'm dead against doing this unless it's a member of xf's development team.
why?
Read that.
I've been in a few of these data breaches as a victim.
It's a big mess when you need to change everything because people have threatened to hack your accounts everywhere.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, they're nasty, so admin access must only be given to trusted people. In XF's case, it's not only the XF developers who can earn that trust, but certainly not someone who's a complete stranger, ever.

aussiefooty

Indeed, they're nasty, so admin access must only be given to trusted people. In XF's case, it's not only the XF developers who can earn that trust, but certainly not someone who's a complete stranger, ever.
Yeah for sure!
Some trolls on there think it's funny.
once it happens to them they won't be laughing.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
btw, the OP has since seen my post, but chosen to ignore it, even though I specifically tagged them in it. Tells you everything you need to know about their attitude, doesn't it?

aussiefooty

btw, the OP has since seen my post, but chosen to ignore it, even though I specifically tagged them in it. Tells you everything you need to know about their attitude, doesn't it?
Yep. They won't like it if they got doxxed with info that they didn't need

Uncrowned

Yeah, I saw that thread and the usual nastiness from the usual suspects directed at you. None of that crap here.

I've just waded in with my tuppence worth. Check it out. :)

I'm not sure about this topic. It does seem like the OP is making a terrible choice, but it also seems like he is struggling to explain the situation and that is leading to a lot of assumptions and guessing to give him advice.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's why I read the thread again and asked a few pertinent questions in my reply to the OP - which he then decided to ignore. More fool him. I clearly made some good points too, as that lot didn't jump down my throat and I got a couple of likes, one of which was aussiefooty's.

It very much does sound like he wants to let some forum rando admin his forum based on 1500... somethings. He's probably done it already, too. Good luck. With a naive attitude like that he's likely to come a cropper someday, if not today.

aussiefooty

I reckon there are some people who are on there who want to argue.
They're the ones who are really causing a problem right now.

I'll give you an example there is a bloke on there who wanted some help and all tracy perry did was argue with him. Causing him to give her a bake which was much needed.
tracy gave out some pretty dangerous information and was really forceful with her response.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Totally agree, the less people that have access to your data the better and whoever does have access should be highly vetted. To give someone random Admin access or given Admin access for funsies (moderators) is very dangerous on so many levels.

The whole anger issue posting at xF makes it a not so pleasant place to interact. I miss the days where people were helpful, not judgemental with your "newbie questions" and didn't rant all of the time.

aussiefooty

I think some of the xF posters need to be really careful with giving their advice.
Even i have to be careful.
I've seen some people tell us that Reddit's ok when it's clearly not ok.
To be totally sure with this all i'm going to do is get them into trouble if they use the platform to bicker with others.
It seems to be the same couple of people making some ridiculous comments that cause many to tell them all to shut up.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think some of the xF posters need to be really careful with giving their advice.
Even i have to be careful.
I've seen some people tell us that Reddit's ok when it's clearly not ok.
To be totally sure with this all i'm going to do is get them into trouble if they use the platform to bicker with others.
It seems to be the same couple of people making some ridiculous comments that cause many to tell them all to shut up.

I like your points and style of thinking!

Back
Top Bottom