Do AI chatbots actually understand what they say? Yeah, kinda

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
So says Sabine Hossenfelder, the well-known physicist and YouTuber and I think she's right. After all, what is the human brain if not a highly complex biological computer? Current neural networks simulate it in a very basic way and build internal models, hence can be said to understand in some rudimentary way.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

CyberGeek

Have you watched the movie M3gan?
Anyone remotely interested in AI should watch the movie.
I'm not a fan of sci-fi but that one is GOOD <3
I just find most sci-fi movies repetitive, that's all. I'd call Lightyear probably the worst Disney movie out.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, I definitely wanna see that movie. I've not seen Lightyear either, so can't say about that one.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My husband and I were going to watch M3gan a few weekends ago and it was no longer in the selection to watch. We were bummed because we were looking forward to it, the one syfy movie that looked really good.

CyberGeek

Can't blame ya there. Too many good movies out, right?
Perfect timing. I suppose because the Oscars and Bufta awards many good movies over the past year or so returned to the cinema. :D

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I can rent it already on Sky for an extortionate £15.99, or wait for it to come to Sky Cinema in a few months for free. Gonna do the latter. No movie is worth this much.

CyberGeek

Oh okay, I’m sorry I didn’t realise. :)

Go to a cable forum and you’ll see entire threads about negotiations and deals with their broadband and TV cable provider.

So thanks for clarifying your boundaries. Just can’t say everyone would consider it personal :D

CyberGeek

Of course I respect your decision. Do you really think that someone can steal your identity by answering that question? :D Just trying to understand your post :)

Uncrowned

Getting back on topic. I have been using chatbots a lot and I always felt like they are just input and output machines. I hope they understand us better in the future, but right now everything seems based on input and their understanding drops through the floor if that input leads them wrong.

CyberGeek

Getting back on topic. I have been using chatbots a lot and I always felt like they are just input and output machines. I hope they understand us better in the future, but right now everything seems based on input and their understanding drops through the floor if that input leads them wrong.
Which ones do you use? Have you tried chatGPT, GPT-4 or Bard? Would you say the same sbout that?

Uncrowned

Which ones do you use? Have you tried chatGPT, GPT-4 or Bard? Would you say the same sbout that?
All of them. Granted I just got access to Bard about 3 days ago and haven't done too much. GPT-4 has been a big improvement, but it is also a bit of a hassle and has lots of errors at this point for me. So most of my time is on GPT3.5

CyberGeek

All of them. Granted I just got access to Bard about 3 days ago and haven't done too much. GPT-4 has been a big improvement, but it is also a bit of a hassle and has lots of errors at this point for me. So most of my time is on GPT3.5
Please provide me with some examples of errors? I’m curious now!

I hear that Bard has access to current affairs where GPT does not. And chatGPT only has access to info before a certain date. Has GPT-4 been updated?

Last edited:

Uncrowned

Please provide me with some examples of errors? I’m curious now!
Technical errors actually. A lot of "could not complete the response" and timeouts.
I hear that Bard has access to current affairs where GPT does not. And chatGPT only has access to info before a certain date. Has GPT-4 been updated?
I would be lying if I said that I kept up with how they are updating the dataset, but it still does not have internet access and therefore is still backdated to a point.

CyberGeek

I would be lying if I said that I kept up with how they are updating the dataset, but it still does not have internet access and therefore is still backdated to a point.

Woah, I assumed the bots out of everything have access to the internet with their huge knowledge base.

Perhaps if they don’t it’s a blessing in disguise if they don’t have access to the internet to prevent access to disinformation and abusive content? I reckon it may have been a deliberate safeguarding measures to keep it suitable for children.

Uncrowned

Perhaps if they don’t it’s a blessing in disguise if they don’t have access to the internet to prevent access to disinformation and abusive content? I reckon it may have been a deliberate safeguarding measures to keep it suitable for children.
In my opinion, it is better that some don't. Bing Chat is GTT-4 with access to the internet and while it can answer more things (mostly current event-related), the other answers also seem to have strange pieces to them that don't make sense. Granted, they make perfect sense when you consider Reddit and numerous other user content-focused sites are now factored in.

Not that those sites are bad, but AI seems to struggle to figure out data sometimes and that isn't helped by BigWilly69 trolling answers 12 hours a day lol.

Back
Top Bottom