First world solutions

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Post nifty solutions here to pesky problems that you're especially satisfied with. I'll kick it off with this:

A few weeks ago, my gaming PC started rebooting at startup like there was a failed overclock recovery (it's an enthusiast motherboard) but only when it had been off for a few hours. Then, very intermittently, it would spontaneously reboot when just sitting on the Windows desktop doing nothing, sometimes twice a day, again that "overclock reboot" when it's not even overclocked anymore. Can't go on like this.

I suspected either a failing CMOS battery or failing motherboard since the PC is now 12 years old and well overdue for an upgrade. I wasn't getting any CMOS checksum errors however, which are typical of a failing battery, so it wasn't obviously the battery.

I booted into the BIOS and looked around: nothing to see, all normal. Rebooted with CTRL-ALT-DELETE, ie didn't save settings and it continued to work fine after that for about a week, when once more it rebooted while in Windows. I finally got round to changing that pesky CMOS battery which is quite old by now and it's been fine since. Still need to give it more time to be absolutely sure, but I think I nailed it. Note this wasn't the original CMOS battery, which I'd replaced long ago.

Hot tip: when changing the battery, do so with the PC running, that way the short power loss doesn't corrupt the settings. Flip it out with something plastic and be careful not to let the battery drop on the motherboard and possibly cause a short circuit.

This thread is the antedote to this one:

eidairman1

Post nifty solutions here to pesky problems that you're especially satisfied with. I'll kick it off with this:

A few weeks ago, my gaming PC started rebooting at startup like there was a failed overclock recovery (it's an enthusiast motherboard) but only when it had been off for a few hours. Then, very intermittently, it would spontaneously reboot when just sitting on the Windows desktop doing nothing, sometimes twice a day, again that "overclock reboot" when it's not even overclocked anymore. Can't go on like this.

I suspected either a failing CMOS battery or failing motherboard since the PC is now 12 years old and well overdue for an upgrade. I wasn't getting any CMOS checksum errors however, which are typical of a failing battery, so it wasn't obviously the battery.

I booted into the BIOS and looked around: nothing to see, all normal. Rebooted with CTRL-ALT-DELETE, ie didn't save settings and it continued to work fine after that for about a week, when once more it rebooted while in Windows. I finally got round to changing that pesky CMOS battery which is quite old by now and it's been fine since. Still need to give it more time to be absolutely sure, but I think I nailed it. Note this wasn't the original CMOS battery, which I'd replaced long ago.

Hot tip: when changing the battery, do so with the PC running, that way the short power loss doesn't corrupt the settings. Flip it out with something plastic and be careful not to let the battery drop on the motherboard and possibly cause a short circuit.

This thread is the antedote to this one:

I always have system unplugged, I follow mobo manual on how to clear cmos, Inwill do a clear cmos 1st, change battery and then do it 1 or 2 more times.

Heck brand new mobo I clear cmos before I ever start it as there are parts that make it by qc with settings still implemented,been doing that since 1999.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Agreed. The way I do it with a brand new mobo, I normally boot it up in a minimum configuration, just enough to get a picture and control it and check things look normal. Then, I'll flash the latest BIOS onto it and finally clear the CMOS RAM as per the process in the manual. After that, I make a test install of Windows and drivers on a spare SSD and check things are stable and will check it overclocks ok, nothing fancy. When that passes, I begin the process of physically building the new system with it.

BTW, my PC is still running fine with the new battery, so I'm quite confident now that I nailed the problem. Famous last words...

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
A first world problem is when you go to the dentist, and nothing goes right during your appointment and you are still there three hours later. That was my day today....good grief!!

Mars

Staff Member
A first world problem is when you go to the dentist, and nothing goes right during your appointment and you are still there three hours later. That was my day today....good grief!!
Sorry to hear that, Tiffany; which remind me: I have to make a hygienist appointment😟....Will phone tomorrow, maybe....

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Sorry to hear that, Tiffany; which remind me: I have to make a hygienist appointment😟....Will phone tomorrow, maybe....
Thank you...better day today, no dentist...lol. So...did you make your hygiene appointment?😇

I also meant to post on the NZ First World Problems thread with my dental saga, so to bring this discussion back to it's original intent, because I goofed....I'll add to "first world solutions about dental", is to always take care of your teeth and go to your checkups and your teeth will take care of you. 😊

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I also meant to post on the NZ First World Problems thread with my dental saga, so to bring this discussion back to it's original intent, because I goofed....
Oh no! 😮:p It's ok, you can move your post if you want to, or I can do it, maybe, or just leave it here, no biggie. :)

I'm no fan of the dentist either.

Mars

Staff Member
Thank you...better day today, no dentist...lol. So...did you make your hygiene appointment?😇

I also meant to post on the NZ First World Problems thread with my dental saga, so to bring this discussion back to it's original intent, because I goofed....I'll add to "first world solutions about dental", is to always take care of your teeth and go to your checkups and your teeth will take care of you. 😊
No I didn't, but I do have a valid excuse: found pigeon in our garden yesterday, something's wrong with her middle toe, took her in, she is now safely lodged indoors; but, she is not eating /drinking yet, may have to take her to the vet tomorrow, so am keeping an eye on her.

So true what you are saying about dental care! We have been doing just that for years, so far so good:). Glad to hear you are ok now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Oh no! 😮:p It's ok, you can move your post if you want to, or I can do it, maybe, or just leave it here, no biggie. :)

I'm no fan of the dentist either.

Thank you...I'll leave it here. :) You know as much as I know about dentistry, I'm not a fan either, though it's helpful knowing what they are doing at every step. That doesn't work for everyone. It's made me a better patient (solutions to dental anxiety 😉), but nothing makes it better when you can't get numb. Jeez, that was awful!!
No I didn't, but I do have a valid excuse: found pigeon in our garden yesterday, something's wrong with her middle toe, took her in, she is now safely lodged indoors; but, she is not eating /drinking yet, may have to take her to the vet tomorrow, so am keeping an eye on her.

So true what you are saying about dental care! We have been doing just that for years, so far so good:). Glad to hear you are ok now.

I'm glad your dental care has been good for years. You do have a valid excuse. You're amazing for looking out for your wildlife eco-system. I hope the little pigeon recovers and starts eating. 🐦

Last edited:

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
My laptop hasn't got a cmos battery, the laptop battery keeps the time. Most laptops one can unclip the battery, with mine battery is secured by screws. If I remove it then I have to reset date and time otherwise it doesn't boot.

The RaspberryPi computers didn't have a cmos battery either though I think the latest Pi5 does have that option.

Geffers

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
No I didn't
Legend. :cool:

found pigeon in our garden yesterday, something's wrong with her middle toe, took her in, she is now safely lodged indoors; but, she is not eating /drinking yet, may have to take her to the vet tomorrow, so am keeping an eye on her.
How is said pigeon doing now? Is the cat a little too interested in it?

Mars

Staff Member
🕊️Pigeon update🕊️

Although the cat did come into the room initially, under supervision! he did not seem interested in Pigeon. He was just waiting for me to sit at the computer, so he could hop onto my lap. I was caring for the pigeon, and Bubba just sat there purring, believe it or not. Then, once I finished and covered the cage with a towel, I left the room and took Bubba with me of course, so he did not feel neglected.

Anyway: made contact with a wonderful organization looking after urban wildlife.
I made sure that the pigeon was eating, his droppings were perfect, so arranged a meeting and delivered the pigeon to them. I gave the lady a bag of the seeds, same seeds the pigeon was eating in our garden and while confined at home. The pigeon may need the toe amputated, but we don't know yet, until seen by their vet.
Will stay in touch with those lovely people, and you never know, I was told that when healed, the sweet pigeon may even return to his flock and to our garden.
Whatever happens, sweet pigeon is saved and God willing pigeon will live to fly another day🕊️.

Back
Top Bottom