Football reffing at the top level to finally get tough on bad behaviour

We don't normally talk about sport on NerdZone, but it's a valid subject if one wants to. In this case, football reffing is finally addressing something that's been bugging me for a long time now when I watch the Premier League and other top football competitions: the bad behaviour of footballers who really should know better, especially given their inflated wages. How does £400 grand a week sound for the very top players? Money and living standards most of us can only dream of. You'd expect top notch professional behaviour and performance at all times for that amount of money, wouldn't you? That's not we get though.

Mikel Arteta Arteta getting booked.jpg
Mikel Arteta getting booked under the new rules for demonstrating an opinion about a yellow card. He was bemused by it
and so was I.

This is long overdue. I've never thought it acceptable that these so-called "professionals" paid millions to kick a ball around a field should be allowed to get away with behaving so badly. Things like shirt pulling, playground style aggression, intimidating the ref, "professional" fouls and lots more need to stop.

I look forward to this year's Premier League with these new rules in effect. I guess we're gonna see quite a few red cards and lots of yellows until players start realising that they can't get away with this like before. And the ones who can't control themselves might well find their careers limited when they start getting lots of red cards and the consequent multi-game bans.

Reffing consistency and judgement must improve over time though and I think it will, but controversy around decisions will always be there to some degree unfortunately, for reasons like no two situations are exactly alike, real-time calls (helped with video evidence and VAR refs), ref bias / bad day, ref personality, quality of video evidence, incident marginality, etc.

However, let's say consistency never improves as the worst case scenario, I think it will still help, because players will know that they're less likely to get away with it overall. This will improve the overall gameplay and entertainment value for the fans, who pay top dollar to watch these games at the stadiums or on TV.

I think this year's Premier League will be very interesting to watch and I reckon also controversial as everyone weighs in with an opinion, myself included! 🙂

Referees' chief Howard Webb says he is "determined" officials do not "turn a blind eye" to bad behaviour from players and coaches this season.

Last weekend saw the start of a bid to stop the sort of behaviour Webb said has been "managed" or "ignored" before.

Almost double the usual number of yellow cards were shown over the first weekend of the EFL season.

"I am determined this won't be something you only see during the next few days and weeks," said Webb.

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta was booked for waving an imaginary yellow card during the Community Shield win over Manchester City following a tackle by Rodri, while West Brom manager Carlos Corberan has been charged by the FA after being sent off in his side's opening day defeat at Blackburn.

Players were also booked for kicking the ball away amid a clampdown on time wasting.

aussiefooty

Yeah we have a white card for stuff like this.

Us goal umpires don't use them but then again we have to keep an eye and ear out for abusive responses. So the field umpires can white card them off.

Abuse of any kind towards any umpire costs games umpires. Because umpires leave umpiring because of the abuse they cop.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Supporters get fleeced for the privilege of supporting their clubs - and I'm saying that as someone who likes the experience of watching my club play at home, but I've got better things to spend thousands on.

Philistine

I think you have to support the idea. I think time wasting has been killing the game. Referees should be respected to ensure you have people willing to do the job and shut Rugby fans up! I am not sure how well this will all work. Most of this is not new. They are just choosing to enforce things they could have done before. The only changes are adding on the exact amount of stoppage time for stop than a notional amount and making injured players wait 30 seconds to come back on the pitch. I think part of the problem is how this has been communicated. At the same time as getting stricter on time keeping and respecting the referee, they are getting more lenient on physical contact within the game. This angered Arsenal fans at the weekend when they couldn't understand the apparent inconsistency and had no idea why Martin Ødegaard wasn't allowed to return to the pitch.

Philistine

I think you have to support the idea. I think time wasting has been killing the game. Referees should be respected to ensure you have people willing to do the job and shut Rugby fans up! I am not sure how well this will all work. Most of this is not new. They are just choosing to enforce things they could have done before. The only changes are adding on the exact amount of stoppage time for stop than a notional amount and making injured players wait 30 seconds to come back on the pitch. I think part of the problem is how this has been communicated. At the same time as getting stricter on time keeping and respecting the referee, they are getting more lenient on physical contact within the game. This angered Arsenal fans at the weekend when they couldn't understand the apparent inconsistency and had no idea why Martin Ødegaard wasn't allowed to return to the pitch.
I think I have a problem with them focusing on kicking the ball away, which has been a rule for ages anyway. I appreciate that comes under time wasting, but usually much more time is wasted by team taking set pieces rather than the team defending them. I think we will have to see how it all pans out.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think the physical contact is the most important thing to crack down on, especially on professional fouls. Consistency too, or it will continue to fuel controversy. I want to see games won on fairness and sporting quality, not on fouls and cheating.

btw, I saw a clip of one of the women's games, where the ref made a decision and then announced the reasoning on the stadium speakers. I wonder if they're gonna try this with the men's games. I think it's a good idea as it increases transparancy.

Let's see how well it all works out.

Philistine

I think I have a problem with them focusing on kicking the ball away, which has been a rule for ages anyway. I appreciate that comes under time wasting, but usually much more time is wasted by team taking set pieces rather than the team defending them. I think we will have to see how it all pans out.
I think there is a question about what is actually considered bad behaviour. Football is a very physical sport and the rules accommodate that, but if you behave physically off the ball you are in trouble. Yet intense provocation is acceptable. A classic example would be David Beckham at the 1998 World Cup. He was fouled by someone who has since been proven to be a master of the dark arts. He reacted petulantly kicking out, but It was a very weak kick. I think it could have been treated a bit more leniently.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think there is a question about what is actually considered bad behaviour.
Yeah, it's impossible to remove all grey areas, but they can certainly be reduced. After all, "barging" is completely legal and a central part of tackling, so determining the exact point at which it becomes a foul isn't always clear.

I remember that Beckham incident: it was more of a tap really, so a red card was really harsh.

Uncrowned

This needs to be in place. Team owners will tolerate it as the best players are winning them games, but once those players start costing the teams wins and money, then you will see a more systematic crackdown on the field.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well, it's already taken effect from the very first PL game of the season tonight between Burnley and Man City. Only one yellow card and a red in second half extra time due to a poor challenge. Basically a very well behaved match. What a refreshing change.

The new regime has been running a while however since the World Cup and EFL, so players know what to expect.

I find it interesting to see football evolve right in front of my eyes with things like this and also technology upgrades like UHD and then HDR. Combining the two nowadays results in a very clear, stunning picture that doesn't have so much of that artificial "TV look" to it.

Uncrowned

I'm sure they will be heavy-handed with it to start. It is also a rule change that could easily fade into nothingness if they let too much slide.

Back
Top Bottom