Fred the pig caught after mischief rampage

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
He's terribly friendly, you know.

After numerous complaints of mischief in the city of Aurora, a 400lb (181kg) culprit has finally been caught loitering outside a shopping centre.

Officials say Fred, who dodged them for several days, is "always hungry" and "loves his belly scratches".

Aurora Animal Services knew they were looking for a pig, they were surprised at just how big he was.

It took about eight people and five hours to capture him. They now hope to find his forever home.

"He's almost like a dog in behaviour, so we want to maintain his life of being a happy, social pig," said Augusta Allen, a field officer with Aurora Animal Services.

"He's social, he's always hungry," Ms Allen said.
"And he's quite content back there, he's just been napping and kind of lazing around," she said. "He's just a nice boy."

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That sounds like a real pita of a problem. Do you have any way of putting them off from doing it?

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I think Fred the 400 pig is pretty cool!

The wild pigs in my neighborhood, however are not cool when the dig in my front lawn! o_O
Can a sensor of some description not be set up that triggers something? Wonder if a sudden water sprinkler would frighten them away, not sure what would frighten away a wild animal, they would normally react to some unexpected movement of some kind.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That sounds like a real pita of a problem. Do you have any way of putting them off from doing it?
It has been a pita. 😠 Last years damage was the worst, so far this year, the pigs hit our front lawn once in September. Some of our neighbors are using invisible fencing or some type of fencing that I can't see to protect their landscaping. During our drought summers, both last summer and the summer before last was really bad. The pigs will trail along the creek from the lake they naturally habitat and look for water and food. Lots of neighborhoods along this creek where homes back up to the creek. This is about a two to three mile trek they take. Last years sounder was over thirty pigs. How to take care of their damage was a big brouhaha amongst neighbors and how to manage it. Neighbors either became friends through it or enemies. Kind of a Fear Thy Neighbor thing. Plus last year, I had criminal mischief in my lawn with some mysterious mean spirited person tossing corn in my front lawn which attracted those pigs which caused colossal damage. Long story that involved our Sheriff.

Can a sensor of some description not be set up that triggers something? Wonder if a sudden water sprinkler would frighten them away, not sure what would frighten away a wild animal, they would normally react to some unexpected movement of some kind.

Geffers

You have a great idea on using a sprinkler or lighting. Our neighborhood residents use a wide variety of deterrents which includes and not limited to a shot gun to scare them off; crazy people.:( Everyone is doing something different. Like the both of you, I'd prefer the most humane deterrent. I think right now, since we are going through a dry spell since early October, the ground isn't moist so the pigs are not attracted to it. I was watering all summer and our lawn was pretty lush, pigs like that. Moist ground is easier for them to dig grub worms etc.

What I've been able to do in September is set up our wildlife camera pointing towards the street side and our lawn that has a trail to the back of our property towards the creek. On this camera I've picked up everything but pigs so far. I have a family of resident coyotes that trail between my house and my neighbors, and every other critter, like opossums, skunks, and cats. I'm still waiting for the ultimate pic of a bobcat, but so far, since we've lived here for over 11 years, I've only seen one bobcat and I was glad I was in my car when I spotted it walking in between neighbors homes. If you come across some amazing and safe deterrent idea, do share.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Wonder if a sudden, 10 second burst of sprinkler would deter them? The actual electronics to set up a sensor and turn water on for a few seconds is easy enough, the siting of it and powering it could be fiddly.

I tried something similar as a neighbour's dog kept pooping on a friends lawn, had the sensor all up and running, had the water pipe connectors but never actually implemented it as issue resolved itself. Experimenting with the electronics was fun though and knowing it would have worked.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Geffers Good thought, first challenge is getting independent water to an independent sprinkler. We do have an outside faucet at the front of the house, but it's on other side of the front. Hmmm...thinking??? The other issue is during the winter season, we have to cover our outside faucets to protect from freezes. Still thinking...I can at least get a hose and draw it across, but I'd have to make sure it's no one can trip on it.

That's always gratifying when you have a problem, like the neighbors dog and solve it with a great solution. Glad it worked and you were able to craft a good solution. At least it's ready for the next time, though hopefully not...;)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It has been a pita. 😠 Last years damage was the worst, so far this year, the pigs hit our front lawn once in September. Some of our neighbors are using invisible fencing or some type of fencing that I can't see to protect their landscaping. During our drought summers, both last summer and the summer before last was really bad. The pigs will trail along the creek from the lake they naturally habitat and look for water and food. Lots of neighborhoods along this creek where homes back up to the creek. This is about a two to three mile trek they take. Last years sounder was over thirty pigs. How to take care of their damage was a big brouhaha amongst neighbors and how to manage it. Neighbors either became friends through it or enemies. Kind of a Fear Thy Neighbor thing. Plus last year, I had criminal mischief in my lawn with some mysterious mean spirited person tossing corn in my front lawn which attracted those pigs which caused colossal damage. Long story that involved our Sheriff.
That doesn't sound fun at all. On the one hand, you love animals and don't want to hurt them, on the other you wanna throttle them for wrecking your place. I remember the story of that mean person.

I was thinking, perhaps on top of the water sprinkler, what about an audio alarm? I just Googled repelling wild pigs and came across the site below, which might help you. Googling further should help, too. Turns out that an ultrasonic repellant can work on them.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That doesn't sound fun at all. On the one hand, you love animals and don't want to hurt them, on the other you wanna throttle them for wrecking your place. I remember the story of that mean person.

I was thinking, perhaps on top of the water sprinkler, what about an audio alarm? I just Googled repelling wild pigs and came across the site below, which might help you. Googling further should help, too. Turns out that an ultrasonic repellant can work on them.

Great idea, just read your link on the ultra sound device....and yes, love animals and never want to bring them harm. I have left the link open to research tomorrow. I'll just want to verify the sound doesn't affect dogs, but looks great! Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom