Fully Upgradable Laptop

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Now this is quite fascinating, a laptop that can upgrade various ports, motherboard, wifi etc.

Most laptops can maybe upgrade hard drive and memory, but that's it, this one is quite amazing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The cheapest version in DIY form is $850 so not cheap.

Geffers

eidairman1

Now this is quite fascinating, a laptop that can upgrade various ports, motherboard, wifi etc.

Most laptops can maybe upgrade hard drive and memory, but that's it, this one is quite amazing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The cheapest version in DIY form is $850 so not cheap.

Geffers

This was how the Dell xps gen 1 was

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Imagine if you could buy all the components of a laptop separately and put them together like a desktop PC. This would include having a range of laptop cases to choose from in the same way we do for desktops.

Would be awesome.

eidairman1

I didn't know that.

Guess nowadays easier to sell people a 'brand new' device.

Geffers

CPUs, Ram, HDD, GPU were all swappable.

I had 1 in 2004 with a P4 Gallatin 3.4 with a Mobility Radeon 9800 256. I added tweakmonster ramsinks using Arctic Silver Epoxy mixed with Arctic Silver 5 50/50 mix on the cards ram as a surety thing and changed to akasa shinetsu thermalpads to OC that card from 350/297 all the way to 459/450. That sucker played UT2003/2004 with ChaosUT no issue. It pisses me off that all mobiles sold claim to be gaming laptops but lack the cooling that thing had (Chunky heatsinks for the cpu, gpu, chipset) with 3 fans (cpu, gpu, chipset) those fans were loud but the system never froze. It was thick and most of todays people would complain it is too heavy (friggin deltamales).

Todays mobiles are notebooks not true laptops, its why i shake my head when people buy them then complain it throttles in gaming.

Back
Top Bottom