Gaming PCs don't come faster than this

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Set up by master overclocker SPLAVE (I've never heard of him either) this is the fastest possible gaming PC and it's based on an Intel 12900KS with RTX 3090 Ti.

Note, no SLI, because that's a dead format now. Shame, as I think it could have been improved with the well known gotchas removed with some architectural improvements to it.

It's really expensive as you'd expect, but the guy who bought the parts and stuck it all together allegedly doesn't know how much the total cost is. Colour me skeptical for obvious reasons.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

fastest possible gaming PC
Till the next one.

I have to be honest I haven't bothered with a 'gaming rig' as such in over a decade; I have nowhere to put one, and I've been using laptops for all that time, a MacBook Pro with GPU in 2012-2016 then MSI gaming laptops since then, currently on my second.

What's incredible to me is how much computing power is available for relatively cheap; this laptop was not the most expensive on offer last year when I upgraded, and perhaps I shouldn't have gone for the 500GB SSD (it's a shade small for my tastes), but we're in the realms where a laptop under £2k weighs in with a 6 physical core (12 logical core) Intel i7-10750H plus an RTX 3070 Laptop GPU. Handles everything I've thrown at it like a champ.

But what intrigues me more is what could be done if games developers could be more efficient; software as a whole is less efficient than it was years ago because there's more compute power available to soak up the rest of it; hardware is cheaper than developer time.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro Laughed at the part where the guy that built it for the guy doing the video doesn't know how much he spent, yet the video was produced for informational purporses. Sticker price is kind of an important point...lol:LOL:

I have Alienware; had to look up some specs on my desktop for that "realm of reality" comparison with SPLAVE'S specs:

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz 3.40 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

@Arantor interesting point about developing better gaming software, rather then all of the emphasis on the hardware.

Arantor

Case in point. I saw a Tweet yesterday on someone demoing graphics on a NES emulator that you’d swear weren’t possible on a 1985 NES -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What follows is an interesting set of observations about game devs even in the late 80s/early 90s cutting corners for practicality vs being artisanal and that if you had more time you could do things the platform “couldn’t”.

Much the same is true now, except the numbers attached are so much bigger.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Linus Tech Tips is my daughter's boyfriend's favorite tech tip website (above video).

@Arantor I looked at your link....so this isn't my wheelhouse and I would never pretend it to be, but if I understand correctly, the tweet showed someone building graphics on a different graphic editor "device" rather then what most people use in gaming and was successful?

Artisanal, will also be my word of the day!!:)

Arantor

Linus Tech Tips is my daughter's boyfriend's favorite tech tip website (above video).

@Arantor I looked at your link....so this isn't my wheelhouse and I would never pretend it to be, but if I understand correctly, the tweet showed someone building graphics on a different graphic editor "device" rather then what most people use in gaming and was successful?

Artisanal, will also be my word of the day!!:)
Not exactly.

So for comparison the sort of things that went out on that platform:

1655403303640.png1655403335038.png

These are two of the more recognisable titles from the 1985 NES - the first Super Mario Brothers game and the first CastleVania game. Note how flat and lifeless the graphics are by comparison.

What the tweet is getting at is that building on those machines back in the day was hard work and that we have better tools these days where we can leverage the hardware so much better to pull off more amazing things.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
THANK YOU!! 😇

I did notice the Nintendo part of it but I figured I was missing something, and of course I was missing a lot of somethings.....Thank you for sharing the detail, now I understand the significance of what you are sharing and the mastery and patience needed to build the games. 🙂

My daughter was able to hack into her Nintendo years ago and actually alter the characters clothing etc. I'll have to ask her what she did to do that and what console it was. I remember, she was probably 13 years old at the time and told me it would be a risk for her to do it, but she wanted to do it anyway. I believe she still has all of the data when she did that. Now she hacks into the SIMS 😆

Back
Top Bottom