Government scraps new smart motorways, but the AA wants to go further

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
After introducing the dangerous abomination of smart motorways, the UK government is finally doing a U-turn on them after quite a few deaths were attributed to them. It's about time, too.

The AA has joined campaigners in calling for all existing smart motorways to be scrapped.
It comes after the government cancelled the building of all new smart motorways over cost and safety concerns.
Smart motorways are a stretch of road where technology is used to regulate traffic flow and ease congestion.
They also use the hard shoulder as an extra lane of traffic, which critics claim has led to road deaths.
Some 14 planned schemes, including 11 already on pause and three set for construction, will be scrapped due to finances and low public confidence.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Why does it take "those people" so long to realize their fantastic plans are doomed to fail in road safety? 🧐 I can't imagine a road without a shoulder? Having a shoulder has saved me from car crashes. Sometimes in traffic you have cars ahead of you that abruptly come to a halt and thankfully, there's a shoulder to move out too if that happens. If I'm driving in high traffic hours, I'll ride on the outside or inside lane, never in the middle for that very reason, that way I always have an escape route if I need some room.

Crims

Wethermon
Why does it take "those people" so long to realize their fantastic plans are doomed to fail in road safety? 🧐 I can't imagine a road without a shoulder? Having a shoulder has saved me from car crashes. Sometimes in traffic you have cars ahead of you that abruptly come to a halt and thankfully, there's a shoulder to move out too if that happens. If I'm driving in high traffic hours, I'll ride on the outside or inside lane, never in the middle for that very reason, that way I always have an escape route if I need some room.
I agree. Here in the UK they have been trying hard to create the circumstances to ban all motor vehicles. And it's obvious to me, so I enjoy sharing that online as generally I have seen very little involvement from anyone bar me regarding it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom