Greetings!

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Welcome @RebeccaPhu! :)

What's your favorite sci-fi movie of all time? I liked so many so that's probably not a fair question. :)

Star Trek, Star Wars or both? :D
Ah, so many to choose from. Forbidden Planet is one to consider, for its day the special effects were good.

Geffers

RebeccaPhu

Welcome @RebeccaPhu! :)

What's your favorite sci-fi movie of all time? I liked so many so that's probably not a fair question. :)

Star Trek, Star Wars or both? :D

There are so many....

The Back To The Future trilogy scores very high, can't get enough of Tron (though not so fond of the newer movies). The Last Starfighter is very underrated.

I like both Star Trek and Star Wars, though I lean towards Star Trek. All the machines and bits and pieces on my home network are named after starships or planets (or other concepts) from the Star Trek universe.

e.g. My main machine is Enterprise, my file server is called Starbase, the web server is called Kazon, the firewall is Q ("you shall proceed no further!").....

RebeccaPhu

Welcome to NerdZone Forums. :)

As a massive fan of the Acorn Archimedes, your profile picture pleases me. In my personal collection I have an A3000, A3020, A4000, A5000 (main machine), A440 (For that Arthur 1.2 vibe), Risc PC 700 with StrongArm upgrade, and the A4 laptop :)

Crims

Wethermon
Greetings earthling! I've recently played train games and it's good that we're bringing more nerds on board :D

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@RebeccaPhu

Yep, my main PC is called MissionControl, so I can relate. Don't have names for the other things.

You're right, my avatar is the original Acorn 32-bit logo, well spotted. :cool:

I've got several Acorns too, StrongARM Risc PC (it was bought like that, not upgraded), A5000, A3000 x2, A4, BBC Master, Electron and more, I can't even remember them all now, but I think you have more than I do.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
@RebeccaPhu

Yep, my main PC is called MissionControl, so I can relate. Don't have names for the other things.

You're right, my avatar is the original Acorn 32-bit logo, well spotted. :cool:

I've got several Acorns too, StrongARM Risc PC (it was bought like that, not upgraded), A5000, A3000 x2, A4, BBC Master, Electron and more, I can't even remember them all now, but I think you have more than I do.
Now I too was an Acorn fan but never realised Retro's avatar was an Acorn logo.

Geffers

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
To the best of my knowledge the ARM processor was the initials of Acorn Risc Machine.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed it was. A while later it got renamed to Advanced Risc Machines to remove it from the Acorn branding which they wanted to get away from. Shame really, as the company which invented it now doesn't get any recognition on the ARM website. Like they scrubbed Acorn from history.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
There are so many....

The Back To The Future trilogy scores very high, can't get enough of Tron (though not so fond of the newer movies). The Last Starfighter is very underrated.

I like both Star Trek and Star Wars, though I lean towards Star Trek. All the machines and bits and pieces on my home network are named after starships or planets (or other concepts) from the Star Trek universe.

e.g. My main machine is Enterprise, my file server is called Starbase, the web server is called Kazon, the firewall is Q ("you shall proceed no further!").....

We love Back to the Future too! Same for us between Star Trek and Star Wars....we prefer Star Wars.

Too funny that all of your machines have special names. Love that!

RebeccaPhu

Now I too was an Acorn fan but never realised Retro's avatar was an Acorn logo.

Geffers

*puts on best nasally annoyning voice*

Now technically it's not an Acorn logo per se.... It's the logo for the Archimedes series of computers produced by Acorn. Acorn's official logo was always...

*drumroll*

... an acorn.

RebeccaPhu

That would be the one, yes :)

Noticeably, the slightly later variation with the side shading. The original was flat.

Back
Top Bottom