Happy New Year 2023 plus your wish

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok, this is a bit late, but I'd like to wish everybody a Happy New Year. 🎉 May good things happen to you this year.

Keeping it light, what's the one thing you'd like to happen to you this year?

I'll kick it off by saying I'd like to finally upgrade my aging PC to a new one. It's a self build that I put together in 2011 with its main features being an Intel i7-2700K CPU and 16GB DDR3 RAM. Everything else has been upgraded over the years, especially multiple graphics card upgrades, but the very core of it hasn't needed to change since its general performance is still excellent even today, which is really saying something. I'm writing this post on it, in fact.

The main downfalls nowadays are:

1 Lack of Windows 11 compatibility so its days are numbered as no more updates once Windows 10 support ends sometime in 2025 and the security updates are critical, let alone bug fixes and general improvements.

2 Gaming performance is now only ok, not great like it was in 2011 when it was the range-topping CPU. It's still competent in many games and can run them smoothly, but it can't reach the highest framerates in modern games and some, like Cyberpunk 2077, run at about 20-25 FPS, which is far too slow for playability. This is a CPU bottleneck, not a graphics card one, since my RTX 2080 SUPER can reach higher FPS than this in this game and dropping the resolution doesn't help. Note that a GPU upgrade is currently off the table since prices for top models have gone through the roof (£1800+ for an RTX 4090 anyone? Insane) so it's just not worth buying one. I'll have to settle for a more midrange model once the GPU becomes a significant bottleneck. With my newish G-SYNC compatible 4k 144Hz monitor, it runs just fine, even at 4K, so no rush.

I have my eye on the Intel i7-13700K and 32GB DDR5 RAM as the base for the upgrade, along with a motherboard and Noctua NH-D15 cooler but I'm yet to make a final decision and buy the parts.

wolfdeer

Happy New Year to you, too! I wish the same for you!

Those are all good. Hope you get the PC you want!

Hmm, one thing I'd like to happen to me this year? Guess that rules out peace on earth. LOL. I'd say better WiFi. We're supposed to be getting better Internet some time in the (hopefully) near future, but it's taking longer than I'd like, seeing how we live in the middle of nowhere. I can't seem to play one round of Fortnite these days without lag or the screen freezing! Ugh, it's a struggle, guys. 😂

Arantor

I'm hoping to not finish this year in such a burn-out state as I finished 2022, and actually spend time on my hobbies rather than so much work.

I'd like to finish a hobby project this year haaaaaaaaaaaaah

Let's hope the rest of 2023 is brighter than 2022 was.

Mars

Staff Member
I'd like to see more foxes in my garden. At the moment I have only one fox visiting every now and then, he loves my kitty's food, and is happy eating from his little bowl, while I stand by and watch. I so wish he'd bring his mate and cubs along...but I guess he is still a bachelor🦊

Aerodynamic

Happy New Year Nerdzoners!!

I'd like to get through this year without stuff breaking (washer, dryer, and laptop), including me....and of course peace on earth is a given wish!
Don't take it personally Tiffany, this is something completely normal being a woman. My wife is just that. She even manages to break down a microwave. Go figure.. :p

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Don't take it personally Tiffany, this is something completely normal being a woman. My wife is just that. She even manages to break down a microwave. Go figure.. :p
In your wife's defense, when appliances break down it's holy-moley-mayhem until they get fixed. Being a Domestic Goddess is very challenging. 🫣

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Nothing has broken today in my world....yet....lol! How is everyone today? :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Man that sucks. Hope you get on top of it soon.

You could start a private thread with myself, @Arantor and @Tiffany (sorry guys, I've volunteered you!) and we can try and put our heads together if that would help. If anyone else thinks they can help, I can add you to the PM thread.

I say private, because you don't wanna tip off your attacker. Alternatively, you can try making a public post here. It's a busy forum with a lot of knowledgeable members on there who can give you good advice regarding this, but of course, it might tip off your attacker. Do you have any support from your host?

Aerodynamic

No, no support from my host so far. I've been looking to maybe transfer to a new host, preferably VPS. We've been setting up some firewalls through Cloudflare yesterday, additionally also setup Sendgrid so the attacker doesn't catch our IP. So hopefully it's all good. But we still need to change the IP asap, and that's why I need assistance from my host. Thanks for the offer, might indeed take up on the offer if we get another attack. Very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom