Has your musical taste stagnated after the age of 30?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
According to this study, it has. Not me though, I'm way past 30 and yet listen to the most modern trance and electronica in general. I still like the classic stuff too (electronic and traditional), of course, but I remain open to good music, whenever it was created. Just check out my music section for a snapshot of what I like to listen to and the new stuff I'm finding all the time.

There’s a reason your grandparents still listen to Elvis, your mom still loves Bon Jovi, and you still have a strange affiliation with the crap bands you liked when you were 14.

A recent survey by the music streaming service Deezer asked 1,000 people in the UK about their musical preferences and their streaming habits. According to their findings, people tend to experience a “musical paralysis” at around the age of 30.5, whereby they stop listening to new artists or genres and tend to stick to what they know.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I like a wide range of music, however, to some degree still consider my favorite music from certain decades as a preference. I do not have "musical paralysis" as mentioned in the article. I'm still open to new music.

Crims

Wethermon
A lot of it yeah. Sometimes I'll find a magazine and it'll give a rare suggestion, though we don't have pandora and such and I don't have a music recommender. In a way it's better? I keep a ear open and music after the 10s generally isn't to my taste and standard. Because I like rock, it's easier to find music through trending covers of 60s songs. The Nowhere Man video was really good for finding the right balance of 10s.

Uncrowned

It is hard for me to honestly answer this as I have always enjoyed a vast array of music and still do today. I'm over 30, so it may technically not be a growing list, but with nearly all genres on the list to begin with, it would be hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom