How to avoid overspending on PC tech you don't need

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
From too many CPU cores to oversized coolers on medium range graphics cards to DDR5 to lots of mobo power phases, don't buy stuff that will make no difference to performance, but cost you a lot more money. Manufacturers pull these tricks to increase the cost of their products to make more profit. Buy stuff that will give you the most bang for the buck instead as the old saying goes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My daughter's Alien :alien: desktop (2015) needs repair. I suggested that she let her boyfriend take it and diagnose the issues.....she says it needs everything new. I would think there are some basic components that usually fail that can be replaced first?? This is not my wheelhouse, but it's a shame.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A PC from 2012 really isn't that old. I'm still rocking a Sandy Bridge 2700K CPU from 2011 and it works just fine. A bit slow in the latest games and it won't run W11, but otherwise no issues.

Your suggestion is correct. It sounds like your daughter might be using this as a mild excuse to get a new computer and there's no right or wrong on this. One would have to find out her reasons for wanting a new one in order to judge.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
A PC from 2012 really isn't that old. I'm still rocking a Sandy Bridge 2700K CPU from 2011 and it works just fine. A bit slow in the latest games and it won't run W11, but otherwise no issues.

Your suggestion is correct. It sounds like your daughter might be using this as a mild excuse to get a new computer and there's no right or wrong on this. One would have to find out her reasons for wanting a new one in order to judge.

Agreed....I'd rather her capable boyfriend take her computer and take his time looking at the components and replace the most logical components that seem to fail first. I feel very confidant in his skills to work on her computer. He's the ultimate nerd in this area. ;)

Reason's for wanting a new computer:
She's a bit spoiled....lol

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh duh! I meant 2015 lol.

I'd let her be spoiled then. In my world this comes under "enthusiastconomics" where the only justification needed for getting a new graphics card, SSD etc is that you just want the latest, bestest one. 😁 As long as you have the money of course...

She can get her nerdy boyfriend to choose / build a new PC for her and in turn perhaps she can give him her old one that she doesn't want any more - win-win.

Arantor

I used to be a build-a-tower kinda guy and I'd only replace a component when it wasn't pulling its weight, but after 2012 I downsized where I was living and went strictly laptop due to the lack of room. Unfortunately that makes it somewhat hard to upgrade, but it does mean it's worth spending the time investigating what the options are.

2012 I went for a MacBook Pro - it was grunty enough to run then-AAA titles, and do the builds for iOS that I was doing at the time, 2016 I finally moved off to an MSI gaming laptop, and in 2021 another iteration of MSI gaming laptop.

But as for other electronics I don't need? That's a tougher question. There is a part of me that would love to have a Raspberry Pi, or an Arduino, but I have no uses for these, nothing I want to build or assemble. Meanwhile the current gen of new gaming devices, whether it's the Steam Deck or the Playdate... I'm curious, intrigued even - but I can't justify it. That makes it fairly easy!

That said... I did get in on the Kickstarter for the second-gen ZX Next. I have no use for one, but there's a part of it that harkens back to my childhood and a simpler time - I never had a C64, I was a ZX Spectrum kid, and part of me wants to go back there but with slightly less in the way of rose-tinted glasses.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
You truly nailed it!! :D She did mention both the graphics card and the SSD. She's always talking about fps-lag, and all kinds of gaming jargon, like packet loss.

Enthusiastconomics ....lol... :D I'm saving this one for future use :ROFLMAO:

Her nerdy boyfriend is always taking older office computers and monitors, bringing them to his house, rebuilding and repurposing them and apparently has an awesome gaming con center. Yeah, he can fix it. I'm sure they can figure out some kind of trade :ROFLMAO:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
2012 I went for a MacBook Pro - it was grunty enough to run then-AAA titles, and do the builds for iOS that I was doing at the time, 2016 I finally moved off to an MSI gaming laptop, and in 2021 another iteration of MSI gaming laptop.
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro which needs version updating. Apple OS is a bit quirky to me compared to Microsoft OS, but then the Windows 11 is a bit quirky now to me. The one good point about my Mac is that it's been secure and hardy, however, messing with the keychain and certificates issues I had last October was almost my undoing. I did get that worked out on my own, though I really need to upgrade my Mac. I've been scared to do it...it's that "something new" thing, but I think I can do it, that is if I had complete silence to concentrate....lol :D

Arantor

I have an M1 MacBook for work, but I find I really don't like the quirks. I was never sold on Apple's ideas of how a UI should work, and it's not like Windows was my first; for that I was spoiled by Amiga Workbench before I ever touched Windows.

I will say an M1 is a pretty powerful beastie though.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I used to be a build-a-tower kinda guy and I'd only replace a component when it wasn't pulling its weight, but after 2012 I downsized where I was living and went strictly laptop due to the lack of room. Unfortunately that makes it somewhat hard to upgrade, but it does mean it's worth spending the time investigating what the options are.
It's a good thing that modern laptops are capable of running any "everyday" apps one throws at them, other than games needing a powerful GPU. They therefore do wonders for working from home and in situations like yours where space is an issue.

You truly nailed it!! :D She did mention both the graphics card and the SSD. She's always talking about fps-lag, and all kinds of gaming jargon, like packet loss.

Enthusiastconomics ....lol... :D I'm saving this one for future use :ROFLMAO:

Her nerdy boyfriend is always taking older office computers and monitors, bringing them to his house, rebuilding and repurposing them and apparently has an awesome gaming con center. Yeah, he can fix it. I'm sure they can figure out some kind of trade :ROFLMAO:
We've got a PC section here so why don't you see if she would like to register and ask for advice about her PC? I know she's got the boyfriend for all that, but I think it's always good to have more than one perspective about an issue. Having him on here too should make the conversation even more interesting!

His hobby sounds similar to what I used to do, so I can relate to it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I have an M1 MacBook for work, but I find I really don't like the quirks. I was never sold on Apple's ideas of how a UI should work, and it's not like Windows was my first; for that I was spoiled by Amiga Workbench before I ever touched Windows.

I will say an M1 is a pretty powerful beastie though.

M1 MacBook....it's pretty nice. :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's a good thing that modern laptops are capable of running any "everyday" apps one throws at them, other than games needing a powerful GPU. They therefore do wonders for working from home and in situations like yours where space is an issue.

We've got a PC section here so why don't you see if she would like to register and ask for advice about her PC? I know she's got the boyfriend for all that, but I think it's always good to have more than one perspective about an issue. Having him on here too should make the conversation even more interesting!

His hobby sounds similar to what I used to do, so I can relate to it.

Funny, I mentioned NZ to her a few times, even today....lol.

I'll direct her to your PC section :)

I'm sure when her summer settles down a bit she may have more time. I have to remind her to drop in to FR every so often :D. She's taking full time crazy-math business classes both summer semesters and she's already in overwhelm. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom