• Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The existential mind knows that this question is impossible to answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I've always pronounced it "jif", as it just sounds wrong the other way. Click on the link to find out how the original developer thinks it should be pronounced.

Let the debate rage on in our forum!

It is the single most profound question of the 21st Century, a debate which has dominated intellectual discourse for more than three decades. Some of the greatest minds and institutions in the world have weighed in on the issue, from top linguists and tech giants to the Oxford English Dictionary and even the President of the United States. Yet despite 30 years of fierce debate, controversy, and division, we are still no closer to a definitive answer: is it pronounced “gif” or “jif’?

chrisns

I pronounce it "GIF"

Steve Wilhite, who actually invented the Graphics Interchange Format for CompuServe back in the mid-1980s, has repeatedly said its pronounced "JIF".

Users of the Graphics Interchange Format are also meant to pay royalties to CompuServe for use of the format.

Hence why I pronounce it "GIF"

#gifdrop

Last edited:

HEXdidnt

I was a bit baffled the first time I heard someone talk about a "JIF" file... Never occurred to me to read it that way, but then I've always known "Jif" as a cleaning product.

Mort

I was a bit baffled the first time I heard someone talk about a "JIF" file... Never occurred to me to read it that way, but then I've always known "Jif" as a cleaning product.
Or a squeezy lemon.
I'm sticking with "GIF" as in "GIFT" without the T.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I can't believe that I'm the only one who thinks it's jif! Anyway, the programmer thinks so too, so there! :p

Remember kids: this is what's important in life.

Back
Top Bottom