Little earthquakes in the UK

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The UK isn't regarded as an earthquake zone, but it's well known that very small earthquakes do actually happen in the UK, below the threshold of what one can feel. However, did you know that sometimes they are actually strong enough to be felt?

This tallies with my experiences of sitting at my desk at home and very occasionally (months to years apart) it feels like everything is shaking at a very low amplitude and frequency for a number of seconds. I'm glad I wasn't imagining it and now know the source of these shakes for sure and also grateful that they're not any stronger given how damaging they can be.

Have you ever felt earthquakes?

An earthquake has been recorded off the Sussex coast.

Residents in Eastbourne said they felt the ground shake for a few seconds when it struck.

The quake struck in the English Channel at 1.53pm on Thursday, January 18.

Details now published by the British Geological Survey (BGS), reveal that the tremor had a depth of two kilometres and a magnitude of 2.9 - which is said to be as intense as 20,000 kilos of dynamite by earthquake and tsunami experts SMS Tsunami Warning.

Shallow earthquakes are felt more strongly than deeper ones as they are closer to the surface.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
K, @Retro, you just posted a topic that's one of my favorites, besides meteorology. I'm such a nerd on this topic that I actually have the Volcanoes and Earthquakes App on my phone. Earthquakes are more widespread and common than people realize, though I would have never associated deep or shallow depth small earthquakes in the UK, but totally makes sense with the location of the tectonic plate location of the UK. Really fascinating that you experienced an earthquake. I'm glad it was mild and there wasn't any damage though.

I love this app:
If you allow notifications, you get a little rumble notification for an earthquake. I have that turned off, but it's cute!

I felt my very first earthquake in Puerto Rico several years ago. About 2:30 am, I woke up with a feeling like the room was on rollers (rolling earthquakes are a certain pattern to the tremble event). I checked my app and it turned out PR just had a 3.0 shallow depth earthquake in San Juan, which is where I was. Was I scared, not at all, though if you would let me I'd probably chase a tornado too.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
K, @Retro, you just posted a topic that's one of my favorites, besides meteorology.
Glad to be of service! :):cool:

Interesting that the UK has drifted upwards from the south pole. Perhaps we'll end up at the north pole in another few hundred million years?!

That earthquake site is fascinating. Look at that, quakes up to 3.8, that's actually quite strong for an "inactive" location like ours. Yeah, we're seriously not imagining it here, wow.

I've installed the app and will have a play with it.

1706400077588.png

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
K, @Retro, you just posted a topic that's one of my favorites, besides meteorology. I'm such a nerd on this topic that I actually have the Volcanoes and Earthquakes App on my phone. Earthquakes are more widespread and common than people realize, though I would have never associated deep or shallow depth small earthquakes in the UK, but totally makes sense with the location of the tectonic plate location of the UK. Really fascinating that you experienced an earthquake. I'm glad it was mild and there wasn't any damage though.

I love this app:
If you allow notifications, you get a little rumble notification for an earthquake. I have that turned off, but it's cute!

I felt my very first earthquake in Puerto Rico several years ago. About 2:30 am, I woke up with a feeling like the room was on rollers (rolling earthquakes are a certain pattern to the tremble event). I checked my app and it turned out PR just had a 3.0 shallow depth earthquake in San Juan, which is where I was. Was I scared, not at all, though if you would let me I'd probably chase a tornado too.

I love this app:

There are so many fascinating sites available now, obviously depending on location as to whether of interest or not. I recently came across a site that showed the locations of bombs dropped in UK during the blitz. How they have such records is amazing.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom