Mirko Hirsch - On The Radio Tonight

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I love how this song created in 2021 sounds more 80s than the 80s. Seriously, that 80s sound is turned up to 11! Check it out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you're wondering where those movie clips in the video are from, it's from this movie, Career Opportunities (IMDB not reflecting the title properly in the unfurl). Ironic that this 80s style tune should take from a 90s movie. I guess it does have an 80s feel though, especially with that cassette deck in it.

Mars

Staff Member
It seems there is a revival of sorts in 80s sound. This one is, as you say, 80s sound turned up to 11: complete with 'listening to tape' 'radio show', the lyrics even mention writing letters.....what is that?
I find it nice, and somewhat comforting, in a strange, nostalgic way, to know that the genre didn't die the death, and that this vaguely sad, albeit disco-pop sound, is not gone and buried.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, there's quite the revival of the 80s sounds nowadays and you can hear quite a lot of tracks like that in my videos section. There's also the synthwave 80s style that's pretty cool and wasn't actually around in the 80s.

What's interesting is that while at first, these tracks smack of the 80s feel, after a while, you can tell it's a modern song created in the 80s style, especially if compared to a track created in that era. On top of that, they're enhanced with modern production techniques and sound quality, giving an enhanced 80s experience that wasn't actually around back then as it was all mostly analog. In short, I love them and even the ones I don't especially like generally aren't bad and I could listen to them if played on the radio. They're nothing like the pop garbage constantly played on mainstream payola radio to this day.

I remember years ago wondering what it would sound like to have 80s style tracks made nowadays and now I know - epic. :) There's actually a huge amount of this sort of music on the web nowadays, so I'm never short of something to listen to and some of it makes it into my video section here. I prefer instrumentals wherever possible, but unfortunately, they insist on singing over most of them which can ruin them to the point that it's not worth listening to sometimes.

Check these out for a couple of excellent synthwave examples. I especially like Dream Machine where the robot is in love with the 80s car... it's quite facepalmy and humorously ridiculous.

This is the other Mirko Hirsch track that I've got on here. You might actually like it better as it's a cover of Crockett's Theme and is a fine synthwave example.

Back
Top Bottom