New York, the sinking city

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
New York City is sinking in part due to the extraordinary weight of its vertiginous buildings, worsening the flooding threat posed to the metropolis from the rising seas, new research has found.

The Big Apple may be the city that never sleeps but it is a city that certainly sinks, subsiding by approximately 1-2mm each year on average, with some areas of New York City plunging at double this rate, according to researchers.
Ouch.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good article, thanks! This is one of the main issues in building on sandy land and small extended islands close to shore; stability over the long term combined with climate changes is never a sure thing. Miami, Florida is challenged by the same issue. Building on boggy land usually doesn't work out well. There's also a lot of coastal homes along the west coast of the US that are being lost to sea as there's a lot of erosion. The west coast doesn't get battered by hurricanes like the east coast though. I wouldn't be too comfortable in New York city with a major hurricane coming through from the Atlantic ocean since reading this article. :eek:

I never thought of the corrosion factor to steel until reading this article.
Parsons said that New York and other coastal cities “have to get planning for this. If you get repeated exposure to seawater, you can corrode steel and destabilize buildings, which you clearly don’t want. Flooding also kills people, too, which is probably the greatest concern.”

aussiefooty

That sounds like an old article. When new york used to be a city that had loads of concrete buildings.
They still do, but since the terrorist bombings things have since changed.
what i saw on twitter was a lady wearing tight fitting clothing and copping some sexual harassment.

Uncrowned

This seems to be part of a much larger problem of numerous cities sinking and being exposed to rising sea levels as humans have built the vast majority of major on the coast and a good number were on unstable areas like coasts and deltas.

Back
Top Bottom