No more airplane mode? EU to allow calls on flights

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This has been a long time coming. I remember seeing documentaries years ago which showed that mobile phones don't interfere with aircraft avionics. Still, when it comes to aircraft, it pays to be cautious and check it out properly first or terrible accidents can happen.

Airline passengers in the European Union (EU) will soon be able to use their phones to full effect in the sky.

The European Commission ruled airlines can provide 5G technology on board planes, alongside slower mobile data.

This could mean flyers will no longer be required to put their phone on airplane mode - though the specifics of how it will be implemented are unclear.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This is great news to be able to fly without putting your phone in airplane mode in the EU.

Crims

Wethermon
I've heard a lot of Americans discussing the fact that it basically makes airplane mode redundant, which is a net loss.

Arantor

It actually doesn't make 'airplane mode' redundant, because it's very convenient to have a killswitch that turns off all wireless comms to save battery or to force a soft reset.

Though I quite enjoyed it on the times I flew to not have more people yakking nonsense that could easily wait until later. I find it annoying enough on trains.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
It actually doesn't make 'airplane mode' redundant, because it's very convenient to have a killswitch that turns off all wireless comms to save battery or to force a soft reset.
Yes, agree, I often use 'aircraft mode' for the battery save options, specially as I have a failing battery. Pretty sure mobile signal eats the battery more than wifi and of course, when away from your main wifi location switching off wifi is a decent option. Appreciate it can of course be detrimental to locations.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom