Not looking forward to Apple's first OLED iPad in 2023

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm not looking forward to this, because of screen burn. Superior image quality is pointless if the display gets ruined. LCD, for all its faults, is immune to this problem. And let's face it, these Apple displays are pretty good already.

HEXdidnt

With Apple, I'd imagine that the reliability of LCD is part of the problem. Too many people aren't dropping their iPhones/iPads and thereby wrecking the display, so there's no reason for them to buy a new one. By adding the likelihood of screen burn, they're ensuring their own income for years to come.

CosmicCruncher

I think the tech will improve, there are a number of other OLED like technologies still emerging. 2023 is still some time off, plus they need some buzzword to sell the new iPads when most current stuff is 'good enough'.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh, it's definitely marketing to have a new display technology coming. And I'm sure it will look fantastic when new.

Thing is, burn-in is inherent, as all it is, is the pixels that have been on the longest having the most wear and hence are slightly dimmer.

One doesn't think about it, but this effectively happens with a backlit LCD too. The backlight gets dimmer all the time, but since it's only one, or there are many edge LEDs all on at once, they fade all at once, so you don't notice. When their light output becomes a little dim, the user simply turns the brightness up to compensate, perhaps not even realising it's because of this.

The important bit, is that the LCD pixels don't care about being in one state for a long time. Well, not much, anyway. It's possible to get permanent image retention, but you might have to keep the same static picture on it for something like a week maybe for it to affect it. This peace of mind is massive for me. On a CRT, plasma, or OLED I'm forever worrying about burn-in.

Back
Top Bottom