Nuclear power is the way to go, no ifs, buts or maybes

Kernkraftwerk_Grafenrheinfeld_-_2013 small.jpg
Picture from Wikipedia showing the Kernkraftwerk Grafenrheinfeld nuclear power plant.

Time to bust the myths that nuclear power is dangerous and kills lots of people so shouldn't be considered. It doesn't and never has. Even the big meltdowns like Chernobyl and Fukushima that everyone knows about actually only ever killed very few people each and those accidents were worst case scenarios, unlikely to happen again with modern technology and processes.

Uranium reactors are safe enough, even with their radioactive by-products that people are so scared of, but thorium is on another level of safety. On top of that, the energy extracted from thorium is an enormous 200x that of uranium! We have enough reserves on earth to last thousands of years, making renewable energy unnecessary and that energy is available on demand, a key criteria. Building thorium reactors are therefore a no-brainer.

Fusion would be even better, but that's proving such a tough technological nut to crack, that we can't consider it for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Scientists just have to keep plugging away at developing viable reactors.

China's building a test thorium reactor and the West should do so too.

Tiffany

Staff member
Nuclear energy is very clean. Most people do miss that detail, agreed. A nuclear plant properly managed can serve a large area of land very efficiently.

I still am baffled why the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan was built right at the sea. I just read a few days ago, that Japan plans to release radioactive water into the sea. They say that it will be as clean as possible, but Tritium will still remain in the water. That does not sound good to me.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
I remember seeing a documentary about that some time ago. While controversial, the idea is that they'll do it very slowly, in stages, thus maintaining a very diluted amount of tritium in the water thus maintaining safety. I don't like the idea either, but maybe this is the science talking rather than the politics.

Tiffany

Staff member
I remember seeing a documentary about that some time ago. While controversial, the idea is that they'll do it very slowly, in stages, thus maintaining a very diluted amount of tritium in the water thus maintaining safety. I don't like the idea either, but maybe this is the science talking rather than the politics.

Thanks for that extra understanding of Japan's process on releasing that contaminated water. I'm going to try and trust the science on the process of releasing this water into the ocean, but I still can't help to envision the minute consequences to the overall health of the sea. Not going all Aquaman here, but our oceans need some environmental clean up help, in my humble opinion. 🙃

Retro

Founder
Staff member
Indeed the whole environment, not just the sea, needs to be disinfected and repaired from the ravages of mankind.

My friend showed me a TV documentary a while back where satellite images clearly showed the vast deforestation that's going on. The whole planet now looks scarred from it. Shocking and that's our air supply that these greedy idiots are cutting down with wild abandon, let alone all the animals that they make homeless and die horribly. In short, they're treating the planet like an infinite resource that's there to be raped and pillaged. Disgusting.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
I've just upgraded my OP to article status as I've said enough there to qualify for one. :)

Tiffany

Staff member
Indeed the whole environment, not just the sea, needs to be disinfected and repaired from the ravages of mankind.

My friend showed me a TV documentary a while back where satellite images clearly showed the vast deforestation that's going on. The whole planet now looks scarred from it. Shocking and that's our air supply that these greedy idiots are cutting down with wild abandon, let alone all the animals that they make homeless and die horribly. In short, they're treating the planet like an infinite resource that's there to be raped and pillaged. Disgusting.

I'll have to look up a documentary on that. I believe it. If I recall my geography history about Ireland, the last ice age was so devastating, that much of Ireland has been without trees or a large portion of it because of the damage from the ice. I do not not remember the timeline, I just remember that detail.

We live in pseudo country and it's very frustrating to see all of the building taking place. We have lost an abundance of pasture and in it's place are homes being built. One of my favorite stormy weather pictures is of a pasture not far from my house. Now it's been bull dozed and they are putting up homes in it's place. It's a shame, we do need the oxygen from the trees and the animals need their forests or tree lines to nest or den. We have seen more bob cats and coyotes this year because they are losing their places to live. ~It's Ferngully ~