Obsolete things that you miss

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
In the NTSC, I believe older shows were transferred over using composite, typically before 2002, causing bad rainbow effect and dot crawl.
Yup, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was like that. Awful picture quality. I had to endure hundreds of episodes like that. Never again.

DIMIDEAS

Yup, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was like that. Awful picture quality. I had to endure hundreds of episodes like that. Never again.

I wonder what they used to transfer stuff before the late 70s. I've noticed shows from the late 70s to the mid 90s have that dull hazy look to them.

It wasn't until 1998/99 that shows had a clear picture.

Crims

Wethermon
I think there's something to be said about the low quality making it easier to produce shows IMHO. There were a load of stories on.

In general with old TV had a schedule which made it easier to know if you were watching the same content as your friends. Around 2010 and 2012 the TV shows werent as good as the Internet, though with the old technology you'd watch the same shows often

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think there's something to be said about the low quality making it easier to produce shows IMHO.
It certainly does. Hi def, now UHD and higher framerates all expose deficiencies in the sets, makeup, acting and more. This makes making a more convincing looking program harder and more expensive, but the result is a better quality recording for the viewer so I'm all for it.

Back
Top Bottom