Proof videos

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Oh there were plenty of unfashionable moments in the 1980s, big hair, metal etc. (never mind that Queen’s most famous song was in 1975)

And don’t get me started on the 80s love of big padded shoulders in suits. It was ridiculous.
I had long hair in the late 70s into 80s. Even had an Affro for a spell. Nowt wrong with long 'barnet'.

Geffers

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
To add to the discussion on Autism/Asperger's.........Asperger's is on the spectrum of Autism. I've found that most people do not truly understand Autism and usually only see what the media chooses to show what Autism looks like. There are many more people with Asperger's and most are truly brilliant people. High functioning autistic people are also often brilliant and you may not even know they are on the spectrum. Some people on the spectrum may appear to show narcissistic behavior, but most often it's not intentional. People on the spectrum respond to social settings or relationship conflict a bit different as most on the spectrum just need time and a bit of space as change or conflict is often unsettling. When you give them time to reflect, they can then make decisions when they are ready with ease.

People with the Dark Triad personality type, just run!

Mental issues have always been, and may always be an issue as bad behaviour is often described as 'mental issues' My daughter is dyslexic, there are many umbrella terms used to lump things together, she was assessed as dyslexic but later that became 'learning difficulties'. She always struggled at school but went on to college, passed a typing course and is now a very fast touch typist. Modern technology such as spell check has helped but overall it was her effort that helped her overcome difficulties.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Mental issues have always been, and may always be an issue as bad behaviour is often described as 'mental issues' My daughter is dyslexic, there are many umbrella terms used to lump things together, she was assessed as dyslexic but later that became 'learning difficulties'. She always struggled at school but went on to college, passed a typing course and is now a very fast touch typist. Modern technology such as spell check has helped but overall it was her effort that helped her overcome difficulties.

Geffers
So true on how society looks at people that are "different" as having mental issues.

That's really excellent that your daughter is doing so well. Inspiring for all of us to persevere.

Crims

Wethermon
Controversial view, though I'll share:
It's about time I mention this, basically I boil down a lack of high quality things to purchase or enjoy. For example, Overwatch 2 is a mediocre game, though it's now £10 for some skins is worth the money because it's like capitalism, globally, which offers so little it's basically communism. Seeing the movies that are out I'll happily buy a movie provided it'll be for the pleasure of buying a indie film that I would enjoy. The thought arrived when I was considering all the unique shows on offer, and they're all mediocre at best. Petty purchases are actually fully justified, personally

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
The last post wasn't fluff:
The axiom of capitalism.
I referenced capitalism's roundabout way of tending towards subjective truth in a post in my Hot Takes thread. Right now the lack of value in modern life is in multiple ways, failing to represent audiences and the mainstay of people. What I'd like to do is have a topic so that we are able to view the failures of 2010s capital without siloing every project.

Assuming the majority of films aren't worth the time, I could start by whitelisting what movies are worth your time over the past 15 years.
For one, the movies I enjoy usually have less entertaining (though ultimately beneficial) stories. The movies we have are largely opposed to action and cartoonishly written, there's no relatable characters unless they're no-cause rebels. Without rebels the thriller genre ceases... and without heroes (because of rebels) there's no villains.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Continuing talk about postcapitalism. I remembered the earlier post about work styles of the future and would like to add.
The future will likely start to be more innovative, as we've passed the peak on offer. Game ideas on my favourite podcast are already improving, so it's likely a social thing - anyone else seen this themselves?
A show I like suggested that Gen Z will be inspired by content us millenials make and evolve further (so I (millennial) are the traditional archetype)

Last edited:

petermarkley

A narcissistic society creates autistic people:
Empathy free environments presents a duality of 'wanting to empathise versus not bothering'
Enmeshment/the idea of not questioning (society and family)
Narcissism is caused by digital media

The last one was more important than 'registered amount of narcissists' as it is more case-by-case.
I like that guy’s Ted Talk, very helpful to distinguish cognitive vs affective empathy. And his story about being called “the serial killer” feels just a little too relatable, ouch! 😵

My older sister was diagnosed with autism when she was around 30 years old. My wife was diagnosed with autism in her adulthood also. I almost certainly have it but have never sought clinical diagnosis. So I and several people very close to me have all experienced that same type of prejudice.

On the popular belief that autistic people “lack empathy,” the sad irony is that autistic people not only do feel empathy, but we often feel it far more deeply than your average neurotypical person. It’s actually more of an emotional language barrier, so to speak. Imagine traveling to an African country where you don’t speak the language, then publishing an article saying the natives “lack human speech!” 🫣🤪 How insulting …

Here’s another Ted Talk about autism that I think has some important merit:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Of course, the paradigm shift that she’s talking about is not one we can totally complete yet. There sometimes are aspects of autism, for some people, that seem like genuine inherent disabilities, not just environmental prejudices like she says. We as a society have not yet fully cracked the code. But I think it’s extremely important to realize it’s possible for things we see as disabilities in a person to result from environmental prejudice instead, and to get us in the habit of at least considering that rather than assuming.

But setting aside for a moment the question of “disability, or natural diversity?” … Regarding prejudice, I have a maxim I like to use:
In order not to discriminate, sometimes we have to differentiate.

Another term for this is accommodation. This goes for all types of human diversity, both “normal” (like skin color or nationality) and “abnormal” (like genuine medical disabilities).

It’s based on the reality that when people are different (in any way, for any reason), sometimes they have different needs. So if we try to “solve” the problem of prejudice by just ignoring it and treating everyone as if they’re identical, we actually end up making it worse.

An extremely obvious example is offering help to a blind person … How cruel it would be if society ignored their disability and treated them as identical to a seeing person, offering no accommodation at all! But it also applies to “normal” diversity. Having different skin color often means you are raised with a different culture and different life experience, which also means you have different sensibilities and sensitivities that need to be respected by those around you. There are ways I talk to my 10 year old nephews that I would not talk to my mother, and vice versa. So too there might be ways I talk to white friends that I would not talk to black friends. Not that I’m two-faced, but I simply recognize that everyone is different.

The uncomfortable reality is, treating people with kindness requires effort to learn and understand what “kindness” looks like to each person. Trying to just be “colorblind” and apply the same definition of “kindness” to everyone is a misguided shortcut.

Well, the same goes for autism—but unfortunately there are large portions of society who are still so comfortable in their majority status, and the blissful ignorance that affords them, that they have not gotten the memo yet. If you suggest to them that they treat an autistic person differently, sometimes they actually find it insulting.

So yeah … those are my thought on it I guess 🙂

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I like that guy’s Ted Talk, very helpful to distinguish cognitive vs affective empathy. And his story about being called “the serial killer” feels just a little too relatable, ouch! 😵

My older sister was diagnosed with autism when she was around 30 years old. My wife was diagnosed with autism in her adulthood also. I almost certainly have it but have never sought clinical diagnosis. So I and several people very close to me have all experienced that same type of prejudice.

On the popular belief that autistic people “lack empathy,” the sad irony is that autistic people not only do feel empathy, but we often feel it far more deeply than your average neurotypical person. It’s actually more of an emotional language barrier, so to speak. Imagine traveling to an African country where you don’t speak the language, then publishing an article saying the natives “lack human speech!” 🫣🤪 How insulting …

Here’s another Ted Talk about autism that I think has some important merit:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Of course, the paradigm shift that she’s talking about is not one we can totally complete yet. There sometimes are aspects of autism, for some people, that seem like genuine inherent disabilities, not just environmental prejudices like she says. We as a society have not yet fully cracked the code. But I think it’s extremely important to realize it’s possible for things we see as disabilities in a person to result from environmental prejudice instead, and to get us in the habit of at least considering that rather than assuming.

But setting aside for a moment the question of “disability, or natural diversity?” … Regarding prejudice, I have a maxim I like to use:

Another term for this is accommodation. This goes for all types of human diversity, both “normal” (like skin color or nationality) and “abnormal” (like genuine medical disabilities).

It’s based on the reality that when people are different (in any way, for any reason), sometimes they have different needs. So if we try to “solve” the problem of prejudice by just ignoring it and treating everyone as if they’re identical, we actually end up making it worse.

An extremely obvious example is offering help to a blind person … How cruel it would be if society ignored their disability and treated them as identical to a seeing person, offering no accommodation at all! But it also applies to “normal” diversity. Having different skin color often means you are raised with a different culture and different life experience, which also means you have different sensibilities and sensitivities that need to be respected by those around you. There are ways I talk to my 10 year old nephews that I would not talk to my mother, and vice versa. So too there might be ways I talk to white friends that I would not talk to black friends. Not that I’m two-faced, but I simply recognize that everyone is different.

The uncomfortable reality is, treating people with kindness requires effort to learn and understand what “kindness” looks like to each person. Trying to just be “colorblind” and apply the same definition of “kindness” to everyone is a misguided shortcut.

Well, the same goes for autism—but unfortunately there are large portions of society who are still so comfortable in their majority status, and the blissful ignorance that affords them, that they have not gotten the memo yet. If you suggest to them that they treat an autistic person differently, sometimes they actually find it insulting.

So yeah … those are my thought on it I guess 🙂
I do agree that people with autism feel much deeper than the normal person contrary to what people think. I have been around autistic people for many years, and one is as close as family. What I've learned from my friends is that I have the deepest and warmest friendships, with total and complete honesty (even when you don't want to hear it), and I've also learned to allow them time to make decisions as their space is pretty important to process something new. Probably most importantly is I don't see my friends by their diagnosis, as that's only a small part of who they are.

I can't really add much more, as you've eloquently described the depth of human compassion towards another and understanding that everyone deserves kindness and sometimes the kindness given requires some compassionate creativity. I'm okay with being patient and creative as I value my friendships.

Crims

Wethermon
@petermarkley Thanks for the detailed reply! I read it earlier, though I couldn't put a decent reply. The goal (unlike a few of the posts this page) was to put the spotlight on society. I'm semi post modern in the analytical description of it - as for most of my life growing up autism was viewed as a disability unless it coincided with viable careers like ICT or such (then society would say it's 'okay'). My friend who was diagnosed as autistic is still largely the product of that environment, so generally I disagree with technology culture and culture as a whole on the topic. Kind of sad - I couldn't really help with directing topics how they would benefit, and prejudice is kind of background altogether.

Back
Top Bottom