ReactOS review - Windows replacement?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Could you run this instead of Windows? Check out the video to find out.

A lot of it looks precisely like Windows, so I'm surprised that Microsoft haven't thrown a DMCA takedown notice at them, which is good for us.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want to try it out:

HEXdidnt

I'll keep my fingers crossed - Microsoft need a bit of competition in their lives.

I tried OS/2 for a while, back in the day, because I had loads of problems with Windows crashing all the time... The main problem was software compatibility... Most games back then were still techncially running under DOS, so some were compatible. It didn't seem to last long once Windows 95 launched...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Microsoft were in a partnership with IBM back then for OS/2 if I remember correctly. They fell out, because Microsoft didn't play fair and that led directly to the demise of OS/2. Apparently, it was bulletproof and very good at multistasking, much better than Windows.

Mort

From memory - is this the one that uses some work from the WINE project as well?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes indeed it is. It frankly doesn't work that well as a whole, but still an amazing achievement from a technical perspective when one considers that this is just a small group of programmers doing this in their spare time. A real labor of love, I tell you.

Back
Top Bottom