Realism and Gaming

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I harped about realism in my prior article however this is something that is a little bit more nuanced. When I was young I played Rainbow Six Vegas with my friends all the time. I've actually played Rainbow Six Seige, and there's a fundamental difference with the two and realism. Realism is centered on physicality, and Seige lacks a feeling of weight that Vegas offers through slower movement and paired down gameplay (in comparison).

Vegas was a slow burn for me, a great game, though I only really started playing it a few years after playing it with friends. I have a hard time creating new words to describe nuances within realistic design. Vegas isn't arcadey in any sense, however the game itself is. The idea that experienced SF members clear out entire cartels and such solo is such a huge amount of fun. Truthfully most people in the real world can't do gymnastics while shooting and Seige lacks the fun of knowing that you might not be able to spin around and execute a perfect 360. There's a level of danger, because it's a lot more slow, and with that risk comes a level of give and take, bringing to the game a sense of interconnectedness.

If my image shows properly, you could also customise your character and had a lot of options additionally for specs. All around a fantastic game, and the right game at the time for the emergence of Halo and Call of Duty in the public eye. I remember my first Terrorist Hunt experience with my friend where we were straight up scared for our lives when not being able to predict if the next corner would have another shotgun-wielding cartel member. It made me want to actually get good, because other people would be experiencing it the exact same.
On a macro level it's about the realism that's assumed within the game at first which makes Vegas my favourite and among my favourites of all time.

R6S screenshot.jpg
Screenshot of Rainbow Six | Siege

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
(To the editor, I'm adding an image soon, writing on phone)
Hmmm... the clock is ticking... I'm messing. :p

I've played hundreds of hours of R6 Siege with my friends. It was a great game, but the difficulty is just so tough. We love it when we get some skilled rando that carries us to a win.

We haven't technically stopped playing it, but we've not gotten round to it in many months now unfortunately, so we've sort of de facto stopped.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Crims, your imgur link doesn't work and I've added an article pic. You might wanna edit that link.

Note that for pics to appear as an article pic, they must be dragged into the post and if several are used, the first one becomes the article pic. Feel free to change it to one of your preference if you like.

And great article, thanks for sharing your gaming experiences. :)

Crims

Wethermon
Crims, your imgur link doesn't work and I've added an article pic. You might wanna edit that link.

Note that for pics to appear as an article pic, they must be dragged into the post and if several are used, the first one becomes the article pic. Feel free to change it to one of your preference if you like.

And great article, thanks for sharing your gaming experiences. :)
Thanks, I had a rush of spurred inspiration and didn't check whether the image was right after editing. I'll PM a decent replacement image for the article (there's probably some good mods for R6 out there lol). I'll definitely be more verbose though it's uncharted territory lol

aussiefooty

It all depends upon if the viewer likes the same violent games as what you do mate.
I hate violent games. Don't like them one bit.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I hate violent games. Don't like them one bit.
You wouldn't like Unreal Tournament then, or it's sequels. :p I also play Call of Duty, the modern warfare variants only. There's various others I have, too. Half-life 2 and its sequels are epic.

What sort of games do you play, then?

aussiefooty

You wouldn't like Unreal Tournament then, or it's sequels. :p I also play Call of Duty, the modern warfare variants only. There's various others I have, too. Half-life 2 and its sequels are epic.

What sort of games do you play, then?
Simple games.
I play gt 7,
afl23
legends of minecraft
cricket 22
the sims series (am waiting for the sims 5 on playstation 5)
Grand theft auto

Crims

Wethermon
I like to consider my stance akin to a referee in this article. Games are often violent (CoD, GTA) , with exceptions like most Nintendo games though Zelda is sword fighting first. The essence of what I was really getting at is multiplayer which you guys mostly got, and whether games are being built to work for the player or the fashionable trope of realism. I know no one asked, though the article felt like it was missing that.
That way, If someone is going to emulate my topic then at least I'll be able to expand on it after.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom