Really weird planets

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A whole bunch of really weird planets have been found out there. Just some of them are shown in this Destiny video which has very high production values and fantastic CGI to visualise them for us. Check it out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mars

Staff Member
A whole bunch of really weird planets have been found out there. Just some of them are shown in this Destiny video which has very high production values and fantastic CGI to visualise them for us. Check it out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I found the Waterworld exoplanet fascinating because of its ambiguous state: water in plasma form??? Having some properties of both liquid and gas, overall its neither or both...All at once...Simple(?).

Oh and what about the Diamond planet? I bet some greedy guts here on earth would so love to get their paws on this one.

It just goes to show that the more we know, the more we discover and consequently realize, just how Little we actually do know.

In a way it fills my heart with sadness, thinking about the miracles hidden in remote places here on our own planet, places like the Amazon, with its myriad of life and plant forms, so weird and wonderful: some recently discovered, already on the brink of extinction; some gone, forever unknown.
We shall never know what we have missed.

All because of the relentless exploitation of this natural marvel.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
In a way it fills my heart with sadness, thinking about the miracles hidden in remote places here on our own planet, places like the Amazon, with its myriad of life and plant forms, so weird and wonderful: some recently discovered, already on the brink of extinction; some gone, forever unknown.
We shall never know what we have missed.

All because of the relentless exploitation of this natural marvel.
Yup, tell me about it. This planet has been raped and pillaged like it's an infinite resource since the start of the industrial revolution. Even to this day, companies are always talking about making more and more physical products, whether they be gadgets, cars, ships, whatever. This planet's resources are finite and one day that's gonna bit them hard. It really brings home just how futile, wasteful and cruel wars are. I'm thinking about Putin's abomination in Ukraine in particular.

Looks like he's gravely sick. Good.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I liked the blanets - planets born around a feeding black hole from the accretion disc. The accretion disc is extremely hot, can shine as bright as stars and the region around the black hole is a violent and tormented place, with significant time dilation near it, too. Imagine a planet existing there, only to one day to inevitably fall into the BH, probably not that far into the future. Would be amazing to study if it was possible to send probes there, but please nothing living, hell no.

Mars

Staff Member
I liked the blanets - planets born around a feeding black hole from the accretion disc. The accretion disc is extremely hot, can shine as bright as stars and the region around the black hole is a violent and tormented place, with significant time dilation near it, too. Imagine a planet existing there, only to one day to inevitably fall into the BH, probably not that far into the future. Would be amazing to study if it was possible to send probes there, but please nothing living, hell no.
Although hypothetical, the idea of anything 'solid' existing anywhere near a BH is hard to imagine.
Scientists say that for a blanet to get close enough to the BH without disintegrating, then the BH should be enormous, something like 40 times the mass of our friendly BH in the center of our galaxy. Another requirement is that the surface of the BH should spin in something approaching the speed of light.

Not a lot to ask, really....

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Although hypothetical, the idea of anything 'solid' existing anywhere near a BH is hard to imagine.
Scientists say that for a blanet to get close enough to the BH without disintegrating, then the BH should be enormous, something like 40 times the mass of our friendly BH in the center of our galaxy. Another requirement is that the surface of the BH should spin in something approaching the speed of light.

Not a lot to ask, really....
That would make such a planet a near impossibility. I’ve not heard of those requirements, but maybe yeah. Thing is, if one isn’t too close to it, the gravitational force is just like a regular star.

Mars

Staff Member
That would make such a planet a near impossibility. I’ve not heard of those requirements, but maybe yeah. Thing is, if one isn’t too close to it, the gravitational force is just like a regular star.
It is true that if one isn’t too close to it, the gravitational force is just like a regular star.
A blanet could hypothetically exist there, at the far fringes of the accretion disk.

For this to happen the BH needs to fulfill the two specifications of Mass and Spin....A ginormous beast 40 times the mass of 'our' BH spinning at just under the speed of light?
(here is the quote.... "as the researchers report in The Astrophysical Journal, for their planet to get close enough, the surface of the black hole would have to spin at less than a 100-millionth of a percent shy of the speed of light")....

I wonder if we shall ever know for sure the mysteries of the black holes.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think to uncover the deepest mysteries of black holes, we'd have to discover new physics that would let us look past the event horizon.

Did you know that time and space swap places inside it? No, I don't get it either, but that's apparently what happens.

Do you have a link for that article? Sounds interesting and says stuff I didn't know about black holes.

Mars

Staff Member
I think to uncover the deepest mysteries of black holes, we'd have to discover new physics that would let us look past the event horizon.

Did you know that time and space swap places inside it? No, I don't get it either, but that's apparently what happens.

Do you have a link for that article? Sounds interesting and says stuff I didn't know about black holes.
True, we shall probably never know what really goes inside those hell holes, unless we discover new physics, new laws, and those new laws would make quantum physics look easy-peasy.
No, I was not aware of the time/space swap, I wouldn't get it anyway.
Here is the link, the info included in my post are in paragraphs 4 and 5.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
True, we shall probably never know what really goes inside those hell holes, unless we discover new physics, new laws, and those new laws would make quantum physics look easy-peasy.
No, I was not aware of the time/space swap, I wouldn't get it anyway.
Here is the link, the info included in my post are in paragraphs 4 and 5.

https://www.science.org/content/article/could-habitable-planet-orbit-black-hole
Indeed, I think we're gonna have to wait a while to look inside one of those. Did you know that the earth compressed enough to form a black hole would have an event horizon with a diameter of around 3cm?

Note that such an extreme scenario for a pblanet* with it orbiting so close and the extreme spin of the BH is for life to hypothetically form on it (please, no). Other articles I've read talk about blanets forming in that hellish region of the superheated accretion disc and there was no talk of life evolving on there.

*Is it just me, or is that word annoying?

Mars

Staff Member
Indeed, I think we're gonna have to wait a while to look inside one of those. Did you know that the earth compressed enough to form a black hole would have an event horizon with a diameter of around 3cm?

Note that such an extreme scenario for a pblanet* with it orbiting so close and the extreme spin of the BH is for life to hypothetically form on it (please, no). Other articles I've read talk about blanets forming in that hellish region of the superheated accretion disc and there was no talk of life evolving on there.

*Is it just me, or is that word annoying?
...blanet... that word is annoying.
I can just picture this tiny little black hole, previously known as Earth; cute but deadly.

Back
Top Bottom