Reasons Linux slow to catch on

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
This is an interesting video outlining some reasons Linux is slow in gaining popularity.

A 17 minute video by Chris Barnett of Explaining Computers.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Before I've looked at it I'm gonna take a guess: Microsoft's overwhelming dominance and dirty tricks?

I will watch it and find out exactly why, don't worry. :)

Merry Christmas. 🎄🎅:)

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Nope, wrong there Retro. Dominance is a minor factor but no dirty tricks by non Linux users.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Those are all good, valid reasons for the low adoption of Linux on the desktop. I'd like to suggest another: the variety of distros, especially the different desktops. While great on a technical level, this fragments the market. There should be one "standard" or "default" Linux that is promoted above all others. It should have the best support of them all too and then, perhaps Linux can finally start competing with Microsoft on the desktop.

I know this isn't 100% the same situation, but look at how well it worked on smartphones. Microsoft tried to break into this market and had a decent product, but Android crushed it into oblivion and Android is just Linux for smartphones. We need something like this for the desktop.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
You may well be right but variety of Desktops is one of the attractions too. Some aimed at low spec machines but all actually very similar in layout.

Sometimes marketing rather than quality wins the day, betamax video was better than VHS.

From a selfish point of view a lack of popularity makes it less prone to virus attacks.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom