Rishi Sunak and Technology

Crims

Wethermon
But 2007-2010 was a pivotal time for politics and whatever else may be said of Gordon Brown in particular, I've come to think his actions in 2008 prevented the situation from getting a *lot* worse than it could have been, and that they were effective in general but the voters didn't want Brown back again because he's not charismatic. Not to mention they blamed him for 2008 in a way that wasn't entirely fair...
In my personal view, 2008 until now, including Gordon Brown is simply about a lack of economics. That austerity was adopted is insult to injury though.

We had enough overhead to ensure good policies, relatively good management of funds locally, but we need someone who is good at both managing funds and being scrupleless with all money. I was ok with it (such as him taking out loans to ease the UK into a poorer baseline) as it was following the recession and anyone predicting the economy to bounce back was naive, though his foreshadowing of all the politicians since leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Gordon Brown did a lot of effective fracking with regard to the UK economy, selling a lot of our gold at market low. Overly political, all lies and basically was the least labour-ish Labour member possibly ever. Basically guaranteed our reliance from Labour to Lib Dem then on the Torys ever since.

It's basically currently looking like the economy is going to start at the very bottom rungs and might mean a perma strike culture for a long time.

Last edited:

Arantor

Check the laws about what is now criminalised for *planning to protest*.

It's clear they want to shuffle money into their own pockets, and those of their mates, with as little oversight as possible, and to maximise profit of whatever work they can convince the masses to do - and if the masses have no rights to complain, and work more hours (and can't complain about it because no protests, no strikes) etc. well, that's just gravy.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's a horrible scenario that you paint Arantor and alas all too likely to come true. I can just see the bastards making this their number 1 mission to bring it in before the next election as they know they're likely not to get voted in again.

Crims

Wethermon
Check the laws about what is now criminalised for *planning to protest*.

It's clear they want to shuffle money into their own pockets, and those of their mates, with as little oversight as possible, and to maximise profit of whatever work they can convince the masses to do - and if the masses have no rights to complain, and work more hours (and can't complain about it because no protests, no strikes) etc. well, that's just gravy.
You could argue that the monarchy doesn't deserve taxpayer money, if the top down austerity is this bad and has up to 20 years.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You could argue that the monarchy doesn't deserve taxpayer money, if the top down austerity is this bad and has up to 20 years.

I've argued for years that they should never be given our money and should be disbanded, ie we become a republic.

Arantor

I'd be perfectly fine with converting Crown Estates Ltd and all its holdings into a regular company. Leave Charlie-boy to be its CEO but in all other respects turn it into a regular company paying regular bills - I think trying to strip them of their overall wealth would be... unfair, they didn't *choose* the life they're in, and making them suddenly deal with real life without money would be cruel and unusual punishment. But make it a regular business, let them deal with it as a regular business would, and if they fail... that's kinda on them at that point.

However, pointing at the monarchy is not the problem here, it's really not. The government needs to be held responsible - because they're the ones responsible for the ongoing privatisation of the NHS, they're the ones refusing to negotiate with strikers, they're the ones looking to reduce the rights of everyone below them in a bid to enrich themselves.

Pointing at the monarchy is a distraction and one they will be VERY HAPPY for you to do because all the time you're looking in that direction, you're not seeing them continue to make off with the silver.

Crims

Wethermon
However, pointing at the monarchy is not the problem here, it's really not. The government needs to be held responsible - because they're the ones responsible for the ongoing privatisation of the NHS, they're the ones refusing to negotiate with strikers, they're the ones looking to reduce the rights of everyone below them in a bid to enrich themselves.
While I understand, and it seems as though the royal family are not linked whatsoever with the government, at the moment the austerity (whichever party) is in agreement to not act. The threat, not so much the followthrough is the point, because they are "same side" at the moment.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
and making them suddenly deal with real life without money would be cruel and unusual punishment.
Like murdering animals with fox hunting, grouse shooting and other blood "sports" is cruel and unusual punishment? I have no sympathy. It's richly deserved and more.

Anyway, I wasn't actually advocating stripping them of all their wealth, although I wouldn't be against it, just turning the UK into a republic and getting rid of this whole concept of monarchy, as if they're something special.

I agree that our tory gubmint do use misdirection to help hide what they're doing. It only seems to work so far though.

Back
Top Bottom