Router - Second IP address

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I've got a TP-Link Model No. TD-W9970 router, not the most elaborate of devices I know but there is an option to set a second IP address. Not to be confused with a virtual LAN, this option is available, creates a different subnet with its own DHCP range.

I may be missing something obvious but am wondering why would one need a second IP address for a router. Just to see the effect I created a second IP address within a different subnet, works fine, can access router configuration via second address but wee bit baffled as to purpose.

Anyone any ideas?

Geffers

Crims

Wethermon
I've got a TP-Link Model No. TD-W9970 router, not the most elaborate of devices I know but there is an option to set a second IP address. Not to be confused with a virtual LAN, this option is available, creates a different subnet with its own DHCP range.

I may be missing something obvious but am wondering why would one need a second IP address for a router. Just to see the effect I created a second IP address within a different subnet, works fine, can access router configuration via second address but wee bit baffled as to purpose.

Anyone any ideas?

Geffers
It's kind of odd that, so you need a IP address to alternate with? I would say it is more effective with data transfer. I used a boost for my wifi connection. Actually, now that you mention it, I've got a Virgin Media box downstairs, but it's not as good as the TP Link, so I use two as well.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I may be missing something obvious but am wondering why would one need a second IP address for a router.
It seems to be a virtual LAN in some sense and it could maybe be used to host a web server for example that needs to be kept separate from the internal network. This LAN where a website sits is on a different network port and that network is often called the "demilitarized zone" in firewall lingo for some reason.

I haven't seen this feature before, either.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
It seems to be a virtual LAN in some sense and it could maybe be used to host a web server for example that needs to be kept separate from the internal network. This LAN where a website sits is on a different network port and that network is often called the "demilitarized zone" in firewall lingo for some reason.

I haven't seen this feature before, either.
I do use a vlan, handy to separate IoT devices from others. These second IP address options are weird. Once set the router can be pinged on this new address, browser can access config page on new address. If I create a static route to a device with an IP address within the new range it can access the internet but is not separate from my normal network. Both different subnets can ping each other. Pretty sure I've got the net masks correct but have fiddled with them.

Works but although fixed IP in different subnet acts as though same subnet.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
hmmm... certainly sounds odd. Does Googling it not help?

aussiefooty

It is not their supplied router.

Geffers
What router is it mate?

Because i will give you an example if it's TP Link it's supplied by TPG who use those routers.
You can always get your isp's help. Even if it's not their router.
For example you might use data link instead of TP link.
Both of those are fine.
Just ask your isp because they can actually help you

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
hmmm... certainly sounds odd. Does Googling it not help?
Might try chat GPT or bard. But having said that it was mere curiosity rather than something I desperately needed to find out,

Geffers

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
What router is it mate?

Because i will give you an example if it's TP Link it's supplied by TPG who use those routers.
You can always get your isp's help. Even if it's not their router.
For example you might use data link instead of TP link.
Both of those are fine.
Just ask your isp because they can actually help you

TP Link Model No. TD-W9970

It was mere curiosity, I do use vlan with a completely different subnet. Also can have a different subnet if I set a route in 'router's' config page.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom