Scientists closing in on a fifth force of nature?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Finding new physics would indeed be epic. Let's hope it happens.

Although mankind knows an awful lot of advanced science now after centuries of scientific advancement, it's my opinion that we've only scratched the surface of the true nature of reality, so as we continue advance, we're going to discover new and fascinating aspects of it. Unless climate change and / or war ruin it all, but let's be optimistic here.

I'm sad that I won't be around in several hundred, or even thousands of years to see the fabulous discoveries that will have been made by then. If there's one "out there" wish I could have had come true, it's this.

Fermilab.jpg

Scientists near Chicago say they may be getting closer to discovering the existence of a new force of nature.

They have found more evidence that sub-atomic particles, called muons, are not behaving in the way predicted by the current theory of sub-atomic physics.

Scientists believe that an unknown force could be acting on the muons.

More data will be needed to confirm these results, but if they are verified, it could mark the beginning of a revolution in physics.

Mars

Staff Member
Finding new physics would indeed be epic. Let's hope it happens.

Although mankind knows an awful lot of advanced science now after centuries of scientific advancement, it's my opinion that we've only scratched the surface of the true nature of reality, so as we continue advance, we're going to discover new and fascinating aspects of it. Unless climate change and / or war ruin it all, but let's be optimistic here.

I'm sad that I won't be around in several hundred, or even thousands of years to see the fabulous discoveries that will have been made by then. If there's one "out there" wish I could have had come true, it's this.

View attachment 1468

Knowledge does seem infinite. The more we understand and are able to decipher what is happening around us, the deeper we go into a seemingly never ending rabbit hole of discoveries and theories, big puzzles, dead ends and unanswered questions.
We cannot possibly grasp it all, and I doubt we shall ever be able to.
Isn't this the essence of Infinity?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, I think that proverbial rabbit hole is the very essence of infinity, one of the most fascinating of subjects. Also, like animals that cannot comprehend things like money, language, technology, cars, space, planets, stars, black holes and all the other things that humans can, I know for sure that there are things that humans can't comphehend and I have an example of one: the 4th dimension.

Can we imagine a fourth direction that we can go, perpendicular to all the others? No, we cannot as we're limited by our physical three dimensional existence. Yet, the maths works just fine all the way to an infinite number of dimensions which mathematicians have been using for centuries now. However, while the computer can mathematically rotate and otherwise manipulate a 4D shape internally in all 4 dimensions by processing the calculations, it can't physically render a 4D object on screen, because it too, is limited by the third dimension that it exists in! The best it can do is a 3D shadow of it, where part of that 4D object intersects our 3D space and that 3D shadow will change size and shape as the 4D object is moved.

I find this limitation as fascinating as it is frustrating. We literally can't comprehend it, because our 3D universe doesn't allow us to. Incredible! Therefore, I believe that there must be an awful lot of things that we can't ever comprehend, perhaps an infinite number of them, who knows? Therefore, mankinds quest for knowledge will go on indefinitely.

Check out 4D Toys on Steam for just a few pounds to play with this fascination directly. I've got this app and can thoroughly recommend it to fellow nerds everywhere. Don't let the child's toy description fool you as there's nothing childish about it. The author is grossly underselling his creation.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back
Top Bottom