SSD manufacturers bait and switch inferior components while keeping the same model numbers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This isn't a new practice either. I know that monitor manufacturers do this with their display panels and have been doing so for years. All this leads to inferior performance and reliability for a later manufactured version of the same product, with the same model number and it's not even declared anywhere. It's literally impossible to make an informed decision before purchase. This bait and switch practice should be illegal and perhaps it would be if they got sued over it.

From what I can see, Samsung doesn't engage in these practices and have the best products on the market, so I'm gonna stick with them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I'm guessing this is done often with items such as diodes, capacitors and resistors etc. Not sure how one would enforce what items would be acceptably substituted and which ones can't.

Geffers

Mort

I've heard this can happen sometimes with memory chips, or controllers, or similar parts unfortunately from my understanding - the retailers wont even always be updated of any variation changes - until it's brought to their attention. Some makers will release a new model with a similar code, but released as a new product. That will at least keep someone who is well informed from making a mistake. But not all will do this.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Reckon the answer is, as you suggest in your post commenting on Samsung, stay with brands you have confidence in. If item is cheap then maybe take a chance.

I say stay with brands you have confidence in rather than brands with reputations as look what VW did to get round emission laws is US.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Geffers

btw, I believe that this happened to me many moons ago.

It's long been known that monitor manufacturers sometimes release a great product, get the great reviews and then switch to inferior components resulting in an inferior picture while benefitting from the better reviews.

My workplace had bought Iiyama 26" 1920x1200 monitors - that 16:10 ratio looks really panoramic, love it. These had a really great picture and especially viewing angles, looking more like IPS displays, than the TN that they're specified with.

At the time, I was looking to upgrade my monitor and I was so impressed with them that I bought the exact same model. Except it wasn't. It looked identical, had identical model and part numbers and had identical functionality other than you guessed it, the picture quality. Still pretty good looking at it from the typical head-on view, but viewing angles were typical TN on this one, which did bug me.

It wasn't just my perception either, because all 10 of the work ones had IPS style viewing angles, while my one was TN. I ended up keeping it and it's still a great monitor and still have it wasting space unused now after a further upgrade, but I've never been happy about this.

Back
Top Bottom