Steer clear of Asus, plus AMD not recommended [updated]

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Watch these eye opening extremely detailed hardware failure analysis videos from Gamers Nexus which show why AMD's new 7000 series CPUs, including the 7800X3D, are getting destroyed which is all because of overvolting by Asus and nonexistent protection from the motherboard. To compound matters, Asus tries to wriggle out of support with warranty disclaimers on their BIOSs which are supposed to fix these problems, but actually don't as GN found out. AMD isn't in the clear either, because their CPUs have lots of bugs in them too as revealed in these videos, although those bugs don't cause CPUs to die. They do cause things like BSODs though.

I'm annoyed about this, because I intend to upgrade my 11 year old Intel 2700K based PC to something new and I was intending to buy an Asus motherboard since the current one has worked flawlessly for 11 years. However, Asus quality clearly isn't what it once was. I currently want to buy an I intel i7-13700K CPU and supporting hardware, but I'm no longer sure which way to go with the motherboard, which will now require some research.

These revelations have caused JayzTwoCents to no longer accept sponsorship deals from Asus (fourth video) and when a major enthusiast channel does this, it's serious. I'm sure that all the other enthusiast sites and channels aren't too happy with Asus, either.

I've always been an Intel man as they're generally less problematic and this information only confirms this to be more true now than ever, unfortunately.

Full details in the four videos below which are best watched in the order that they're posted here as the GN ones are a three part series. You'll want to give it a couple of hours to watch all of them as they're quite long.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

UPDATE 22.05.2023

After lots of pressure and bad publicity, it looks like Asus are finally going in the right direction with their customer support and warranty.

Gamers Nexus however, is still not selling ads to them and I think one should give it at least 6 months before considering buying their products again, in case these turn out to be empty words.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The one ASUS I had bit the dust in a very short time. Nice that people take so much time to put out detailed videos to help others!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Hey live627, great to see you back! :cool:

That's good advice, but it's even worse than this with Asus as those mobos cook the CPU with default BIOS settings, ie no overclock, stock voltages and timings etc. The CPU actually hit 200c, started smoking and then exploded with an audible pop! Trying to overclock with one of those boards is a death sentence for your CPU. If you have the time, it's well worth watching the first video at least, which demonstrates this destruction happening.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This is why manufacturers should never enable overvolting by default.

Also, my Asus B85M-G R2.0board coupled with a G3440 has been solid as a rock. I've never gotten a BSOD. And now I'm planning a big upgrade to ROG STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI w/ 11700F
Good luck with your upgrade!!
Hey live627, great to see you back! :cool:

That's good advice, but it's even worse than this with Asus as those mobos cook the CPU with default BIOS settings, ie no overclock, stock voltages and timings etc. The CPU actually hit 200c, started smoking and then exploded with an audible pop! Trying to overclock with one of those boards is a death sentence for your CPU. If you have the time, it's well worth watching the first video at least, which demonstrates this destruction happening.
I second the welcome! :) Great o see you @live627!!

Now I want to completely watch the first video. I want to see the CPU explode :D

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I've updated the first post with the latest video from Gamers Nexus about this issue.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I watched most of the first video this morning....very technical, but also VERY entertaining...I would rate this super nerdy on the nerd scale.

eidairman1

The Asus TUF (The Ultimate Force) Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 was an excellent board, 5.0 Air Cooled FX 8350 at 5.0, passed Ryzen blender at 75°C (Scythe Ashura HSF). I was reluctant to ever use them again after the P4 Fiasco I had, took a chance with the above board. It seems things have come full circle and I would suggest ASRock especially after building the Ryzen 7 5800 with ASRock B550 Steel Legend. Had a 970 Extreme 4 and it unlocked a X2 555BE to X4 965BE/B55.

I may experiment with the Sabertooth R2.0 with the X2555BE.

aussiefooty

i own an iMac desktop and laptop.
These guys are much better.
you can add normal microsoft things to it like office 365 for mac
your choice of internet security software is easier.
When i had my first pc i had it for 4 years. Bought another pc to replace it and sold a faulty computer.
then had a laptop.
nothing but trouble
bought my first imac and have never looked back

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
PCs can be just as nice and there's total industry support for them, which you can't say about a Mac. They're also infinitely more upgradeable which Apple purposely cripples the upgrade options on.

When it comes to overall usefulness and hardware and software workng on it and a much wider range of both, a Mac can't touch it. It way more than makes up for the odd gremlin one comes across on a modern, good quality Windows PC. I stress good quality, because bad quality anything will give a bad experience and it's usually the no-name cheap Chinese brands that are like that and should be steered clear of at all times.

aussiefooty

Problem is with pcs is that they upgrade weekly and do them when they wish and it could mean you have to wait for them to finish upgrading before you actually start work.
With an imac you do an upgrade once a year with the smaller upgrades taken care of once a month.

eidairman1

Problem is with pcs is that they upgrade weekly and do them when they wish and it could mean you have to wait for them to finish upgrading before you actually start work.
With an imac you do an upgrade once a year with the smaller upgrades taken care of once a month.
It was a Sudden change that MS Did in W10. W7 never did that. I disabled Windows update in 11 completely and install updates using powershell only on my time table, not microsofts.

Back
Top Bottom