Swollen battery problem endemic to Samsung: avoid this brand?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Anyone remember batterygate with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7? They ended up discontinuing that model because of it. Now, it turns out that loads of Samsung models have this problem, including the recent S20. The rate of failure is much higher than other brands. I'm not sure why this problem isn't making headlines around the world and flying lawsuits, but perhaps it should be. I've never bought a Samsung phone, but now you can be sure I never will. What's worse is that this is coming from the world's biggest smartphone manufacturer besides Apple.

I've always advised people with devices of any brand and type* that have swollen batteries to stop using them immediately as they can go off like a firebomb with the potential to kill or cause serious, life changing injuries. This is confirmed by the iFixit statement below. Read the whole statement, not just the highlighted text.

Watch the video from 7:34 to see that warning and commentary from Mrwhosetheboss, or from the start for the whole story (recommended).

1666834759769.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

*Smartphone, tablet, laptop etc.

Arantor

What's worse is that this is coming from the world's biggest smartphone manufacturer besides Apple.
I wonder how many other phones have this problem because Samsung also make parts for everyone else. Including for the iPhone.

But yeah, swollen battery = BAD.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed. According to the video, it seems that Samsung disproportionately has this problem though. Maybe best not to buy a Samsung battery though...

Back
Top Bottom