Text scam: fraudsters pose as your bank

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This nasty scam could even trick the savvy:

Criminal gangs are able to assume the identity of Britain’s biggest banks when sending scam texts for as little as £7.50, despite a crackdown on SMS fraud.

Fraudsters can sign up to legal websites and apps which hide their numbers in scam text messages and adopt the name of a big bank or other trusted organisations.

Criminals are able to spoof the identity of banks in this way, spending just £7.50 for 50 text messages that show up in inboxes carrying the name of trusted brands, experts have warned.

And here's the kicker:
To the recipient, it will look as though the text is coming from their bank and appear in the same text message chain as authentic texts.

Normally, these texts or emails sit on their own, making it much more obvious that they're not legit, but when embedded within an existing legitimate bank thread, it can trip up even the savvy if they're done well. Beware of any message you receive regardless of format and stay safe.

Mars

Staff Member
This nasty scam could even trick the savvy:

And here's the kicker:

Normally, these texts or emails sit on their own, making it much more obvious that they're not legit, but when embedded within an existing legitimate bank thread, it can trip up even the savvy if they're done well. Beware of any message you receive regardless of format and stay safe.

Nasty indeed, we have seen programs on TV about it, people lost thousands. You can't be too careful, and better be suspicious rather then trusty.
Call your bank and don't click on any links in a text. How many times have we heard that? Yet folks still fall for it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I agree, with @Mars. I don't click on anything either. Thanks for the heads up on this scam.

live627

The bank that I use does not include any personalized links in either text or email, instead asking me to go to their website as normal to view a message or whatnot.

eidairman1

Always never click links. Open a browser and verify the text number address, then Call your bank from their official phone numbers, never through links, catphishing is what it is

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I've had actual genuine emails from my credit card companies that break all these rules. They're nicely formatted html with lovely big buttons to click on and log in. 🤦‍♂️ Exactly the same thing that a scammer would do, so is it any wonder that people fall for the scams?

Back
Top Bottom