The end of online privacy

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Under the umbrella of supposedly protecting children our privacy in the 'West' is slowly being eroded.

We now have the Online Safely Bill, EU has the Digital Services Act. Canada froze the bank accounts of truckers to crush their protests, Jacinda Aherne (Ex NZ Premier) said publicly she wanted Government to be to sole source of truth. Australia acted in a very similar manner during the covid lock downs, as did US

An 18 minute video by Rob Braxman outlines what we are losing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Jacinda Aherne (Ex NZ Premier) said publicly she wanted Government to be to sole source of truth.
Because governments are so impartial and reliable, not at all susceptible to corruption.

In the end, there's no single source of truth unfortunately, because anything can be got at, so we must make a judgement call when looking at many different sources and be generally savvy critical thinkers, not easily swayed by misinformation. Unfortunately, so many people fail hard at this that we find ourselves in the mess we're in.

I'll look at the video later and may have more to say about this then.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thank you @Geffers for the video. :) I'm always interested in online safety and what "nonsense" is planned around the corner on internet rules by the powers that be.

I do a lot of research too, as @Retro mentioned. I never take anything as "truth" until I've run the topic through many different resources to be sure. I'll take a look at the video tomorrow morning.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok, just watched it and wow...

Some of this I knew, but I didn't know about Apple implementing AI snooping tech into the iPhone 10 and later. Better hang on to that old iPhone... Switching this AI on will render all encryption useless. Of course, Google does something similar with Android, but it's not as advanced yet according to this video.

Governments are always looking for ways to control people and suppress their freedoms and I'm talking about the West here, not just obviously oppressive regimes like North Korea. Our freedom comes at a price of constant vigilance and pushback against Big Brother.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Ok, just watched it and wow...

Some of this I knew, but I didn't know about Apple implementing AI snooping tech into the iPhone 10 and later. Better hang on to that old iPhone... Switching this AI on will render all encryption useless. Of course, Google does something similar with Android, but it's not as advanced yet according to this video.

Governments are always looking for ways to control people and suppress their freedoms and I'm talking about the West here, not just obviously oppressive regimes like North Korea. Our freedom comes at a price of constant vigilance and pushback against Big Brother.

I wonder now about https bank sites etc. We are always told our data is safe, until of course a hack occurs. Appreciate what is visible on our screens is always an issue if in a public place but until now that has been our responsibility but if AI does things automatically then bank passwords become a weak point.

Wonder now about the likes of signal.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well, for now, I'm pretty sure it's ok, because there are billions of these transactions happening every day, hence there's a lot of interest from the security and hacking communities to see if these really are secure. If not, you can be sure it would be trumpeted from the rooftops.

I did a quick Google and couldn't find confirmation of what this video is saying about Apple. However, I did find this article from reputable website Gizomodo reporting that privacy settings on the iPhone have no effect, which helps me to believe that Apple actually have implemented snooping at the chip level like the video claims.

For all of Apple’s talk about how private your iPhone is, the company vacuums up a lot of data about you. iPhones do have a privacy setting that is supposed to turn off that tracking. According to a new report by independent researchers, though, Apple collects extremely detailed information on you with its own apps even when you turn off tracking, an apparent direct contradiction of Apple’s own description of how the privacy protection works.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Just finished watching the video. End to end encryption is more powerful than I realized and I was surprised to hear that encryption ends on your Apple when you login as the login gives permission, that is if I got that right. I do also recall the history of that shooting in San Bernardino and the national discussion that occurred over law enforcement wanting access to those Apple phones.

The mass shooting where police had the Apple Phones.

So, now I wonder if all cell phones have this encryption issue at login as I have an android?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That video is good, but it got one important point wrong: it said that once the phone is unlocked by the user, it's no longer encrypted and then re-encrypts once it's locked again.

What actually happened is that the data remains encrypted, but is decrypted on the fly as it's accessed by the user. The actual stored data remains encrypted at all times, even the bit that's being accessed at that moment.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Load of rubbish.
Stop loading us up with bullshit geffers.
Please don't talk to other members in that tone: keep it civil and pleasant - this is a family friendly forum. If you think Geffers is wrong, politely explain why and feel free to debate the issue with them in a polite manner.

aussiefooty

Please don't talk to other members in that tone: keep it civil and pleasant - this is a family friendly forum. If you think Geffers is wrong, politely explain why and feel free to debate the issue with them in a polite manner.
Make sure that they aren't posting up misinformation.
That guy is reknown for spreading rubbish.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Make sure that they aren't posting up misinformation.
That guy is reknown for spreading rubbish.
You don't tell me what to do.

I'm very tolerant and easy going as you know and appreciate your taking part here when it's something like a cat post or whatever, but you're crossing a red line now and that will have consequences if you continue. Consider this a first, friendly warning.

aussiefooty

You don't tell me what to do.

I'm very tolerant and easy going as you know and appreciate your taking part here when it's something like a cat post or whatever, but you're crossing a red line now and that will have consequences if you continue. Consider this a first, friendly warning.
Ok don't listen then. People will just leave.
stop spreading shit on your forums mate. People will tell you that you're a cooker.
infract me all you like mate but you will get caught out with the spreading of false information by allowing cookers on your forum.
Covid 19 you need to have vaccinations and carry masks with you everywhere.
I reckon geffers is against that too.
That's on you as well.
Make him stop spreading that false info.
Privacy has not ended. he needs to buy anti virus software to prevent it from happening.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok don't listen then. People will just leave.
stop spreading shit on your forums mate. People will tell you that you're a cooker.
I warned you: two weeks thread ban in effect. Any more shit from you and it's gonna get a lot more severe, you got that?

You don't tell me how to run my forum and disrespect me, or you can just fuck right off.

I suggest that you refrain from posting anything for a day or so and cool down, before you do something stupid that you regret.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That video is good, but it got one important point wrong: it said that once the phone is unlocked by the user, it's no longer encrypted and then re-encrypts once it's locked again.

What actually happened is that the data remains encrypted, but is decrypted on the fly as it's accessed by the user. The actual stored data remains encrypted at all times, even the bit that's being accessed at that moment.

Thank you for that clarification on how the encryption worked on the Apple.

Mars

Staff Member
I wonder now about https bank sites etc. We are always told our data is safe, until of course a hack occurs. Appreciate what is visible on our screens is always an issue if in a public place but until now that has been our responsibility but if AI does things automatically then bank passwords become a weak point.

Wonder now about the likes of signal.

Geffers
Security is all fine and good, until there is a breach.....We never do online banking!

TheURL

Unlike ChatGPT, which you invoke on demand, Microsoft Copilot is there by default - what do other M$ users on here think about that?

Back
Top Bottom