The epic SR-71 Blackbird airplane

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is my favourite airplane of all time, I mean just look at it! It could do mach 3.2 at 85000 feet, the fastest airplane to this day.

This video from the entertaining Thoughty2, is a short history of its development which, incredibly, started in the late 1950s as the A-12 that was then upgraded to the SR-71. There's much more detail available on the web, or in books.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Great video, love the statistics on the SR-71 having repelled over 4000 missiles successfully. History between the Soviet Union and US also new to me. Too bad it was retired, but I'm glad there's a new SR-72 on it's way for maybe 2025.

Here's a look at a new aircraft; The B21 Raider.....high drama pic for it's reveal ;)

221201-F-CA816-1097R.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It does!! There's nothing like being close to these jets and seeing what the pilots can do. My dad use to take us to air shows every year. Top fuel drag racing is another cool experience too!

Uncrowned

I always loved the blackbird. It is just such an awesome combination of new tech and crazy design schemes that it is really a model of aviation innovation for all time.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I love how it still looks futuristic even though this is a design that dates from the late 1950s!

I've seen YouTube videos of remote control models using actual jet engines flying around, too, so the design scales well. Alas, they didn't break the sound barrier, lol.

Back
Top Bottom