The high cost of inflation

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's the 40th anniversary of the humble one pound coin and those of us of a certain age will remember that one could actually buy quite a lot with it. How about 16 Mars bars @Mars?

Nowadays, after 40 years of inflation, forget it.

What could you buy? Well, a single pound coin back then gave you enough purchasing power to afford six 16p first-class stamps, to keep up with your various pen pals. Or you could ignore your pen pals and buy six Mars Bars instead.

You could buy two loaves of bread (38p each), a dozen eggs (73p) and, if you scrounged an additional 2p, an entire pack of Benson and Hedges cigarettes.

But sadly inflation has not been kind to that beleaguered yet beloved piece of nickel brass.

Its worth has been eroded by the passage of time.

Uncrowned

Food has been the worst. $200 at the grocery store gets you a few days of meals if planned out, it used to get us weeks of meals not all too long ago. We have switch to a lot more bulk buys and Walmart runs for food over just going to our local grocery store to try and make due.

Mars

Staff Member
It's the 40th anniversary of the humble one pound coin and those of us of a certain age will remember that one could actually buy quite a lot with it. How about 16 Mars bars @Mars?

Nowadays, after 40 years of inflation, forget it.

Thanks Retro, but no worries. I bought lots of them 40 years ago. I still have some left. 😇
Come to think about it, I might just hold on to them for a little while longer, sell them at auction on the coin's 50th anniversary. Clever, no?

Back
Top Bottom