The Metaverse

Crims

Wethermon
I guess we have nothing to really worry about.

RTGame, a youtuber, is the first popular streamer of Facebook/Meta's Metaverse. And within an hour of his streaming the stock price went down 30%. Not much else needs to be said here

For posterity:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh boy, how does such a wealthy company produce something so lame?

live627

Attachments

• meta.png
    meta.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 1

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro fakebook has over estimated their following, and IMHO, will have it's demise for it's own dishonest policies....just not sure how long it's going to take for everyone to catch up to figure that out, but their advertising losses are significant and some advertisers are leaving Twitter too, since the Chief Twit took over, where are the advertisers going to go?

@Arantor Not a VR user, but I totally get what you just said, simply because I follow fb news updates.

@live627 I was just about to post your same link. I've been on the fate of fakebook dive watch for awhile. They are very aggressively dropping in shares, advertising dollars, and continuing to downsize their staff. Wonder why? :devilish:

@Crims Since you added a link to Meta, here's a link to a critique from Meta's advisor John Carmack:

The "Doom" creator clearly isn't a fan. "I've always been clear that I'm all about the cost-effective mass-market headsets being the most important thing for us and for the adoption of VR," Carmack said during the event. "And Quest Pro is definitely not that..."

Arantor

Carmack’s right, if you want VR to be a thing, you *have* to make it accessible to as many as possible.

Crims

Wethermon
I've read mixed accounts about Carmack; his policy is to bicker but generally side with the company. The game however speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Arantor

Eh, one does not do well biting the hand which feeds. I can't say, I haven't read much of what he's had to say in a while, I'm not sure how much of what he has to say is relevant.

But on this point, he's absolutely right that if you want to get everyone into one place, you need to not have the price of entry *high*.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Crikey Arantor, you're fast! I've only just finished the migration with the domain adjustment and haven't done the mass email yet! :)

Arantor

Honestly? I'd stopped work for the day, came sat on the sofa and just hit refresh. I didn't even realise there was downtime until I checked my emails this evening.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
lol the site was down since last night at around 21:00 for the transition. It's fully operational now.

Crims

Wethermon
Meta has banned a lot of <13 year olds from Oculus, Instagram and Facebook

Ramifactions are that it means that Meta would be untrustworthy for a VR environment, a good reason to exclude.

Last edited:

Uncrowned

I just can't help but feel that it is a product that lacks a purpose. I can kind of see the goals they might have down the road, but currently, I don't really see much of a purpose to invest my time into the metaverse as it is mostly like a god-awful VR chat with some other times to do.

Crims

Wethermon
I just can't help but feel that it is a product that lacks a purpose. I can kind of see the goals they might have down the road, but currently, I don't really see much of a purpose to invest my time into the metaverse as it is mostly like a god-awful VR chat with some other times to do.
Same. Seems to be the same as Xbox Live. Good to see someone also from the Halo community!

Tbh I've already shown two games that fulfil this niche (Gmod 2 and Boneworks), and there's one that would probably appeal more for you:
A game they're making actually fun.

Uncrowned

Same. Seems to be the same as Xbox Live. Good to see someone also from the Halo community!

Tbh I've already shown two games that fulfil this niche (Gmod 2 and Boneworks), and there's one that would probably appeal more for you:
A game they're making actually fun.
The gameplay looks pretty solid. Although I am still a fan of my controller for FPS games. Granted, Forge + VR would be something special.

Crims

Wethermon
Me too. Though I'm definitely going to adopt VR as a long run solution. They've already made VR gloves with actual movement, and it's a really neat prospect considering the laziness of mainstream titles at the moment. They also made Halo ODST in VR as a mod.

Uncrowned

Me too. Though I'm definitely going to adopt VR as a long run solution. They've already made VR gloves with actual movement, and it's a really neat prospect considering the laziness of mainstream titles at the moment. They also made Halo ODST in VR as a mod.
This is the biggest hurdle I have with good VR, it can be super awesome, but the costs of all the little things can add up very fast. I don't really know if they will have a "headset" only experience that can outpace the full room of cameras and senors with all the fancy gear.

Crims

Wethermon
This is the biggest hurdle I have with good VR, it can be super awesome, but the costs of all the little things can add up very fast. I don't really know if they will have a "headset" only experience that can outpace the full room of cameras and senors with all the fancy gear.
I genuinely don't mind the experience, because there's a few games that are multiplayer with the right controls. The experience is still in its infancy until the next game for VR that actually fits the gear, like a Guitar Hero.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Half-Life Alyx is made for VR. Has anyone played it? It's apparently very good.

Back
Top Bottom