The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

live627

No. Gotta actually try to get zapped, like shuffle feet on carpet while wearing socks. Much better chance in the winter whenever heater is on because they dry the air out as you probably know.

Anyway, today's high is 93.

Mars

Staff Member
Weather just right to do some work in the garden: not too hot, not too cold, not windy...I run out of excuses, so I take my trusty handfork, and join the birds in the garden. Most weeds are fine, it is the grass I am waging a war on, it chokes the life out of the more delicate wild plants.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@live627 93F, is that your normal for this time of year?

@Retro It's so nice to not be carrying around a coat for us too. Now it's getting super warm fast.

@Mars Same here with the weeds/grass growing through our flower beds. We just had spring flowers put in last month, and we are already getting the grass coming up. Good luck with your war on grass.

Temp got to about 83F today. It was actually pretty warm in the sun.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This family had a really bad weather day, but thankfully survived it almost unscathed. Imagine being inside that as it's being destroyed.

wrecked motorhome.jpg

A family whose motorhome was destroyed by a “freak gust of wind” during a storm in the Scottish Highlands is said to be very lucky to be alive.

The family of four and their two dogs were inside the rental vehicle, which was parked in a layby on Scotland’s North Coast 500 route, when high winds knocked it over and sent it tumbling headlong down a hill towards a loch.

Police and emergency services attended the scene on the A896 near Shieldaig, Wester Ross, but found the entire family and both dogs had survived the accident with only minor injuries.

“It’s a miracle that no one was seriously hurt,” said Peter Schmidt, owner of Luna motorhome hire, who had rented out the £70,000 vehicle to the family over the Easter break. “It’s just unbelievable.”

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
OMG, an example of the power of the earth and it's elements of wind, fire and water; particularly wind in this case. Wow, so glad that family survived that freakish wind gust and was spared any harm.

Mars

Staff Member
@live627 93F, is that your normal for this time of year?

@Retro It's so nice to not be carrying around a coat for us too. Now it's getting super warm fast.

@Mars Same here with the weeds/grass growing through our flower beds. We just had spring flowers put in last month, and we are already getting the grass coming up. Good luck with your war on grass.

Temp got to about 83F today. It was actually pretty warm in the sun.
Tiffany, I am going to persevere; the only way to keep the invasive grass in check is to go at it every single day, manually:(. Can't just go ahead and mow it down, as there are all those lovely wild plants, including wild strawberries, trying to survive underneath the green blades.
Don't laugh, but I am now at a stage where I am encouraging my dandelions...

Mars

Staff Member
This family had a really bad weather day, but thankfully survived it almost unscathed. Imagine being inside that as it's being destroyed.

View attachment 1670

Unbelievable. I still can not understand how four people and two dogs just 'walk out' unharmed, after being inside that tumbling motorhome??
Also, strange to see that the motorhome had come to a standstill on all four wheels, rather then being toppled over. Really looks like more of an explosion then anything else, but then the gas cylinders were intact... some holiday.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Tiffany, I am going to persevere; the only way to keep the invasive grass in check is to go at it every single day, manually:(. Can't just go ahead and mow it down, as there are all those lovely wild plants, including wild strawberries, trying to survive underneath the green blades.
Don't laugh, but I am now at a stage where I am encouraging my dandelions...
Hope the strawberries make it and "go" dandelions! 📣

Your back yard garden must be really amazing! :)
Unbelievable. I still can not understand how four people and two dogs just 'walk out' unharmed, after being inside that tumbling motorhome??
Also, strange to see that the motorhome had come to a standstill on all four wheels, rather then being toppled over. Really looks like more of an explosion then anything else, but then the gas cylinders were intact... some holiday.

I'm glad they made it too. Very scary! Out of the many experiences I've had with bad weather, the one that stands out much like what these people went through, was a time I was stuck on a two lane road with a deep ditch on my right side (which would be my passenger side, since we are in reverse of the UK with the steering wheel location) ....and the tornado sirens were going off, while it was white wash rain, it was so bad. I couldn't move and behind me was a bobtail truck. I had no choice but stop and I prayed the truck driver could see my brake lights because if they didn't, I was going into that ditch with a roll over or two. The wind was severe and also at the time, my dd was in the car and very small, we were on the way to my mom's house. It did turn out okay, but it was one of those few minutes your life flashes in front of you hoping your decision turns out okay.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm glad they made it too. Very scary! Out of the many experiences I've had with bad weather, the one that stands out much like what these people went through, was a time I was stuck on a two lane road with a deep ditch on my right side (which would be my passenger side, since we are in reverse of the UK with the steering wheel location) ....and the tornado sirens were going off, while it was white wash rain, it was so bad. I couldn't move and behind me was a bobtail truck. I had no choice but stop and I prayed the truck driver could see my brake lights because if they didn't, I was going into that ditch with a roll over or two. The wind was severe and also at the time, my dd was in the car and very small, we were on the way to my mom's house. It did turn out okay, but it was one of those few minutes your life flashes in front of you hoping your decision turns out okay.
Sounds pretty scary, glad it worked out.

Mars

Staff Member
Hope the strawberries make it and "go" dandelions! 📣

Your back yard garden must be really amazing! :)

OMG Tiffany, having to stop in a blinding rain storm, with a heavy truck on my tail and a gaping ditch on my right, not knowing whether the truck was aware that I am actually stopped....Not for the faint-hearted!!!
The only good thing about it, you are here now to tell the tale.
Know the saying 'what doesn't kill me makes me stronger'...Well, if that saying is true, you are definitely one stronger lady now🙂

OK, have just spoken to the dandelions and they send you their thanks for cheering them on.
Your comment about my garden is kind but unfortunately, at the moment, it is just wishful thinking. Maybe some spots are fine, but that relentless grass dominates and makes it all just look plain messy:(.
But it will get better.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Sounds pretty scary, glad it worked out.
Me too! :)
OMG Tiffany, having to stop in a blinding rain storm, with a heavy truck on my tail and a gaping ditch on my right, not knowing whether the truck was aware that I am actually stopped....Not for the faint-hearted!!!
The only good thing about it, you are here now to tell the tale.
Know the saying 'what doesn't kill me makes me stronger'...Well, if that saying is true, you are definitely one stronger lady now🙂

OK, have just spoken to the dandelions and they send you their thanks for cheering them on.
Your comment about my garden is kind but unfortunately, at the moment, it is just wishful thinking. Maybe some spots are fine, but that relentless grass dominates and makes it all just look plain messy:(.
But it will get better.

Yes, I'm here to tell about it and actually, every close call in life is always a lesson learned too. I've become that eccentric person now, where I check the weather before doing anything major. I won't cancel appointments, unless it's icy weather or something extreme, but I'll actually delay an outing or do it another day, if bad weather is coming in. Something about hail damage on my car isn't very appealing either. 🤓

Please tell your dandelions that I'm sending good vibes across the pond. 😇

I'm sure you are being very modest about your garden. 😊 I'll take a fresh pic of one of our beds that is getting consumed by grass....tsk..tsk. I'd do it now, but Champy is sitting in my lap 😁

Mars

Staff Member
@Tiffany, agree with you about every close call in life is a lesson learned; the less of those lessons the better though..... I am still saying what happened to you was way too harsh a lesson!
Can't honestly call you eccentric for paying extra heed to the weather. It is the logical thing to do, we do it as well, even though have never had a frightening experience like yours.

I do my due diligence in the garden, and my dandelions are smiling back at me.😊
Maybe they get the good vibes you are sending all the way from Texas....you never know about plants🙃.

Isn't it great when our babies sit in our lap! My dogs never sat in my lap, as they were big boys, way too big to cuddle up to mum; but my cat Bubba does, all the time, I love it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Tiffany, agree with you about every close call in life is a lesson learned; the less of those lessons the better though..... I am still saying what happened to you was way too harsh a lesson!
Can't honestly call you eccentric for paying extra heed to the weather. It is the logical thing to do, we do it as well, even though have never had a frightening experience like yours.

I do my due diligence in the garden, and my dandelions are smiling back at me.😊
Maybe they get the good vibes you are sending all the way from Texas....you never know about plants🙃.

Isn't it great when our babies sit in our lap! My dogs never sat in my lap, as they were big boys, way too big to cuddle up to mum; but my cat Bubba does, all the time, I love it.

I can remember *a long time ago in a far away place...lol" that I never paid attention to the weather when I had plans, I just punted and went out....enough close calls will do that to you and I can see where you have to pay attention to the weather too, as you have your share of storms beyond just rainy weather. Glad your dandelions are doing well....sending more good vibes across the pond. :)

Yes, love my dogs when they cuddle. Love when big dogs try to cuddle too...had a friend that came over with her big dog occasionally and she would try to cuddle...lol. Glad you have your Bubba to stay close and cuddle.

I spotted the news on a possible tornado in the UK. This story has a video included as a camper is blown over.

I thought it would be interesting to look up the average amount of tornadoes in the UK and found this article:

Oh, and as promised a picture of one of my flower beds. It's being overwhelmed by nut grass, also know as nutsedge. See on left side where it's overwhelming the flowers. This is a very pesky little issue to control as it also damages your regular turf outside of your beds.

A little bit about America's nutgrass.

weed 3 rs.jpg

.....And....back to topic.....we had torrential rain fall all day Saturday, great for our lakes when we get drought ridden in the summer....clear skies and temperatures getting back to normal tomorrow, and rain coming back soon.

Back
Top Bottom