The real reason why thin people are not fat: genetic advantage

Arizona

That's why psychiatrists get the big bucks...to find ways to mitigate side effects. Like going with Wellbutrin or another class of medications, eventually taking a lower dose of the original antidepressant. (Most side effects are dose-dependent). GPs are generally not as familiar with alternatives. Metformin can also help prevent weight gain with some psych meds.

Last edited:

CyberGeek

That's why psychiatrists get the big bucks...to find ways to mitigate side effects. Like going with Wellbutrin or another class of medications, eventually taking a lower dose of the original antidepressant. (Most side effects are dose-dependent). GPs are generally not as familiar with alternatives. Metformin can also help prevent weight gain with some psych meds.
It’s true that GPs are not as familiar with alternatives. When I mentioned that wellbrutin is known to cause weight loss or at least not cause weight gain the GP said I am wrong and that in all anti-depressants there is a risk of weight gain and/or weight loss depending on the individual. That’s true, sure, that everyone is affected differently BUT some are more notorious for causing weight gain (setraline and prozac generally cause weight gain but setraline generally more than prozac for the same person) and others cause weight loss like Wellbrutin as you say.

In any case wellbrutin is sadly not licensed to be prescribed as an anti-depressant i n the UK.

Arizona

That's interesting. I see now that Wellbutrin/bupropion is only allowed in the UK for smoking cessation. Another medication in the atypical antidepressant category is trazodone, and it is not generally associated with weight gain. Many people take it as a sleeping pill, including for long-term use. My husband (who has bipolar disorder) has taken trazodone for years for insomnia, without any weight gain. And one of my dogs was prescribed a low dose of trazodone for separation anxiety.

Last edited:

CyberGeek

That's interesting. I see now that Wellbutrin/bupropion is only allowed in the UK for smoking cessation. Another medication in the atypical antidepressant category is trazodone, and it is not generally associated with weight gain. Many people take it as a sleeping pill, including for long-term use. My husband (who has bipolar disorder) has taken trazodone for years for insomnia, without any weight gain. And one of my dogs was prescribed a low dose of trazodone for separation anxiety.
Will read up on it. A lot of things are said but you only discover the truth by reading stories online of experiences of those taking it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Lots of good info about these drugs, people. Thankyou. 🙂

Looks like they've been a thing for weight loss for some time now.

CyberGeek

Lots of good info about these drugs, people. Thankyou. 🙂

Looks like they've been a thing for weight loss for some time now.
Drugs? Anti-depressants?
Only wellbrutin has been a thing for weight loss.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm sorry, I wasn't too clear on the sit-ups. Improper sit-ups can cause the muscle to build outward rather then inward...and I agree with you @CyberGeek, sit-ups aren't helpful in the grand scheme unless maybe you are a boxer and your coach is throwing a medicine ball at you. Planks on the other hand can be useful in strengthening your core.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Arizona shared a substantial amount of information concerning anti-depressants...thank you....also agree with Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is unique and will not cause any issues nor weight gain. It may help you have a clearer head and be more productive because it uptakes nor-epinephrine and dopamine neurotransmitters. If there's ever a class of drugs to avoid that will cause weight gain, those are your anti-psychotics.

CyberGeek

@Arizona shared a substantial amount of information concerning anti-depressants...thank you....also agree with Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is unique and will not cause any issues nor weight gain. It may help you have a clearer head and be more productive because it uptakes nor-epinephrine and dopamine neurotransmitters. If there's ever a class of drugs to avoid that will cause weight gain, those are your anti-psychotics.
I don’t know why wellbrutin isn’t certified in the UK !! 😭

Arizona

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6307759/It seems it is possible to get Wellbutrin/bupropion for off-label use in the UK, though may not be worth the effort involved (compared to other options like augmenting with metformin or a supplement like berberine):

Personally, having had OCD most of my life, I haven't had a whole lot of success with psych meds except as short-term downers for anxiety and insomnia. But fortunately, my insurance reimburses me 100% for psychotherapy, which is unusual among insurance companies.

Last edited:

CyberGeek

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6307759/It seems it is possible to get Wellbutrin/bupropion for off-label use in the UK, though may not be worth the effort involved (compared to other options like augmenting with metformin or a supplement like berberine):

Personally, having had OCD most of my life, I haven't had a whole lot of success with psych meds except as short-term downers for anxiety and insomnia. But fortunately, my insurance reimburses me 100% for psychotherapy, which is unusual among insurance companies.
Have you tried setraline? That’s known to alleviate symptoms of OCD and similar conditions with respect to obsessive behaviours like autism.

CyberGeek

Arizona

Have you tried setraline? That’s known to alleviate symptoms of OCD and similar conditions with respect to obsessive behaviours like autism.
Yes, and almost every other SSRI and SNRI as well as most other classes of psych meds, with various trial-and-error experiments over several decades.

I attended a virtual OCD conference last year of the leading experts, and they still say the goal of current treatments is not to be symptom-free but rather better as a person or whatever. It's the same situation with people with chronic pain. The meds often just take the edge off.

Last edited:

Arizona

Depends if it boosts your appetite then not.

Always an if and a but

Maybe timing is a factor, along with intensity and consistency?

This says to workout (do heavier exercise) before a meal:

"If you’re always hungry after you exercise—regardless of whether you ate beforehand or how many calories you burned—try to schedule your workouts before one of your main meals, says Brown. That way, you can refuel with calories you would have consumed anyway, without having to add extra snacks into your day."

And this says to walk (light exercise) right after a meal:

"According to a 2018 study published in the journal Nutrients, people who ate two slices of white bread and then went for a walk lowered their blood sugar levels more than those who walked before eating the starchy snack."

"A 2016 study of those who suffer from Type-2 diabetes found that walking for 10 minutes after every meal helped to lower blood sugar levels more than walking for a half-hour at other times of the day."

Last edited:

CyberGeek

Maybe timing is a factor, along with intensity and consistency?

This says to workout (do heavier exercise) before a meal:

"If you’re always hungry after you exercise—regardless of whether you ate beforehand or how many calories you burned—try to schedule your workouts before one of your main meals, says Brown. That way, you can refuel with calories you would have consumed anyway, without having to add extra snacks into your day."

And this says to walk (light exercise) right after a meal:

"According to a 2018 study published in the journal Nutrients, people who ate two slices of white bread and then went for a walk lowered their blood sugar levels more than those who walked before eating the starchy snack."

"A 2016 study of those who suffer from Type-2 diabetes found that walking for 10 minutes after every meal helped to lower blood sugar levels more than walking for a half-hour at other times of the day."
I usually do HIIT just before a meal.
I’ll try out walking before/after meals. Thanks for the tip!
BUT from what I’ve read studies demonstrate that generally speaking low intensity exercise over a period of time will inpact appetite the same way as short bursts of higher intensity workouts. And it just depends on genetics and natural processes etc etc. Worth varying things up for experimentation though!

Arizona

Years ago, there was a story on CNN about a guy who ate mostly boiled eggs and oranges to lose weight :D

More seriously:

"Of the 20 most popular fruits and vegetables, oranges and grapefruits are highest in fiber."

(Of course, grapefruit can be potentially problematic for some meds like some statins and SSRIs.)

Last edited:

CyberGeek

Years ago, there was a story on CNN about a guy who ate mostly boiled eggs and oranges to lose weight :D

More seriously:

"Of the 20 most popular fruits and vegetables, oranges and grapefruits are highest in fiber."

(Of course, grapefruit can be potentially problematic for some meds like some statins and SSRIs.)
Oh yeah an egg diet along with brown rice and fruits and vegetables goes well. Because protein and fibre help suppress appetite. It’s well known that anti-depressants amplify the effects of refined carbs and saturated fats in particular

CyberGeek

And I forgot to mention that fibre reduces the weight gain effect of anti-depressants as noted from numerous posts on other forums

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
There's a link between the rise and fall of ghrelin (hungry hormone) and the timing of your meals that helps in weight loss efforts. Working out on a fast is also a booster to weight loss, but hard to do.

Here's a link from Dr. Axe:

*I've found that I have less OCD/OCB as long as my neurotransmitters are somewhat balanced through protein, nutrition and Vitamin D.

Arizona

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom