The rise of dark web design: how sites manipulate you into clicking

TheURL

"Dark Design" - a potent term and one that should be used much more often. I also think the "Social Dilemma" should be an examination subject for school-children everywhere.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Totally agree, TheURL. I've been advocating for child safety on the internet for a very long time. Parents should really be aware of what their children are doing online.

Manipulating users for commercial gain isn’t just used on websites. Currently, more than 95% of Android apps on the Google Play store are free to download and use. Creating these apps is an expensive business, requiring teams of designers, developers, artists, and testers. But designers know that they’ll recoup this investment once we’re hooked on their “free” apps – and they do it using dark design.

This caught my attention because I do have an Android Mobile App in the app store. But for the record, my development was nothing more than for the user to have an easier experience on their devices. Dark Design, a dark term for collecting user data, which by the way is totally unnecessary.

TheURL

Well done for your foray into App development! Incidentally, and to clarify, my view that the Social Dilemma should be part of the National Curriculum was not purely for child safety; it was for later adult safety as well.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Totally agree. Adults are affected, as well. I discussed this dilemma in one of my recent threads on the danger's of VR. Both adults and children can be groomed. Children are at risk, because their reasoning skills aren't fully developed to process the degree of manipulation. Adults on the other hand, are susceptible to online safety issues because they either ignore the red flags, or they get taken in by predators that feed on their emotional disorientation.

Back
Top Bottom