To Apple or not to Apple?

Do you use an Apple mobile device?

• Total voters

Varlov

This is my question...

Do you enjoy using Apple devices or not, and why? I personally make use of the iPhone 13 Pro Max and the M1 iPad Pro 12.9" after switching from android. Now I don't think I'd ever go back. The integration, efficiency, and cleanliness is unmatched. The only dilemma is the unreasonable price tag often associated with Apple.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yes, I Apple.

I came from being a die-hard Android user to the Apple side for one reason only: security.

I've got an iPhone and iPad, both older generations, but still supported and still run very well.

Android with its patchy to non-existent updates is a swiss cheese of security holes, but to a lesser extent with the higher end models. Imagine the uproar if Windows was maintained like this by Microsoft. Apple devices are the direct opposite of this, with significant effort going into the OS of whatever device to keep it current on features and, especially, security patches and for several years, too.

Occasionally, one hears about an exploitable flaw in it, but within days, Apple has patched it and made it available to all devices. This is worth the price of admission alone and knocks Android into a cocked hat. That Apple devices have good features too, are great to use and are generally very well built, is an added bonus. And yes, Apple does have its downsides too, such as that price tag, restrictive upgrade choices and sealed batteries, which the rest of the industry has annoyingly copied. Unfortunately, there's no one platform that has it all, but this is the best compromise in my opinion.

@Varlov You may like to add a poll to this thread as it should get some interesting responses. Here's my question and answers suggestion, should you wish to add it, but you're not obliged to:

Question: do you use an Apple mobile device?

- Yes
- No
- Not sure (huh?)
- Other (explain)

Arantor

I’m very happy with iPad and iPhone but I find the Mac experience inferior to both Windows and Ubuntu on the desktop.

Will explain more later as to why.

Crims

Wethermon
I honestly wouldn't mind swapping to a Mac after years of using laptops. Steam Deck is really only a practical choice, but Linux still intimidates me after years of using the same software.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Android user for mobile. I have a Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
Prefer Windows for graphic work and really most everything.
I have had an Apple cell; preferred the Android because of the calendar. (I know, silly, but my calendar overall view for the month is easier on the Android)
I have a Mac notebook, durable, long lasting, but mostly use it for reading or research while watching TV, because it's lighter then my Alienware laptop.
I do have an Apple iPad. It's also used for light work, and it's fine. It's getting to the point of needing to be replaced though. Has been long lasting and has worked well for the years I've had it.

IMHP, honestly, overall, Apple products likely last longer then Microsoft. My Mac has outlasted several lap tops and desk tops that have crashed. I just like the Microsoft operating system a bit better. Just my personal experience though.

Arantor

So, I’ve owned all the things over the years - Windows, Mac, Linux on the desktop. Windows is where I tend to gravitate because I’m into gaming at times and gaming on Mac and Linux is still frustratingly poor. Though I think the Steam Deck will move that balance a bit.

I still use a Mac laptop at work but I mostly find myself annoyed that all the keyboard shortcuts are different in everything for reasons I don’t really understand.

As for mobile/tablet devices, I am not interested in customisation options, because these are devices for media consumption above all else and what I want for them is to work. I don’t mind tinkering on my desktop (though, I’ll note, I tinker considerably less than I used to), because if I break it, I can fix it. But I have no desire to tinker with smaller devices because I just want them to reliably work and work how I know they work (barring OS updates)

I did do some Android dev a few years ago, spent time with Android devices and found them just less nice to work with - so if I’m going to be spending time with a device, I want one that will get updates and is nice to use… Apple wins on both counts.

Crims

Wethermon
More than anything I just prefer a good UI, simple structure and functioning sorting. Apple products are really good - or were really good for that. Most apple products these days aren't professionally used.

Arantor

More than anything I just prefer a good UI, simple structure and functioning sorting. Apple products are really good - or were really good for that. Most apple products these days aren't professionally used.
Depends on your profession. Apple devices - MacBooks and iMacs are hugely popular in any of the design industries, from web design to graphic design to architectural design. And if you’re building apps of any kind where you have an Apple presence, you will have a Mac - you can’t build and publish iOS or macOS binaries anywhere without a Mac involved.

capnsquarepants

I moved from Android to iOS 4 years ago, and have not regretted it since. Sure, Android devices are more customisable, and you can change a lot of different settings. But iOS just .. works.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@capnsquarepants apologies, I forgot to welcome you to NerdZone Forums.

Thankyou for joining our friendly community and I hope you like it here.

Any queries, just PM me.

Great username btw, like the sense of humour about it. :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Android for cell, but I do have several Apple products; iPad and laptop. My iPad has been industrial strength, but it is giving me signs that it's about to go kaput on me soon :unsure:.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
ppl, if you're wondering where the "not sure" option comes in on the poll, it would be voted for by someone completely clueless with technology who has no idea what gadget they're using. Mind you, in that case, they'd be unlikely to figure out how to register an account on here in the first place...

Back
Top Bottom