Today is NerdZone's First Leap Year!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I registered domain nerdzone.uk on 20.12.2021 so today, 29.02.2024, is NerdZone's first leap year, which feels a little bit special. :)

In a nutshell, leap years exist because the earth actually takes 365.25 days to orbit the sun, so it keeps the calendar in sync with it.

Here's a few articles explaining leap years, each with their own take on it.

29February.jpg

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Instead of complicating it with an extra day every 4 years they could have just had 60.04 seconds in a minute 😎 Guess that is a leap second every 25 minutes.

Mind you, having a leap year lets us know when the Olympics are.

Geffers

TheURL

It's been suggested that the extra day should be 31st June - which would be in the summer, and of course a longer day than 29th Feb. Which sounds good but is of course flawed. It's a bit like saying that it gets late much earlier when the clocks change.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
It's been suggested that the extra day should be 31st June - which would be in the summer, and of course a longer day than 29th Feb. Which sounds good but is of course flawed. It's a bit like saying that it gets late much earlier when the clocks change.
All psychological but agree, 31 June much better but that buggers up the rhyme for remembering which months have 30 days and which have 31.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The calendar is baked right into the very core of every computer ever made with a clock and every system of tracking dates, so imagine the chaos if this was ever changed. Might be worth it for the comedy value lol.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
The calendar is baked right into the very core of every computer ever made with a clock and every system of tracking dates, so imagine the chaos if this was ever changed. Might be worth it for the comedy value lol.
Good point, Feb 29th it remains. Australia quite happy though, they get an extra summer day.

Geffers

TheURL

You can always write some patch code, eg

If > 28th Feb in leap year and < 1 Jul in leap year then...else...

etc, then download that everywhere.

That will fix the Australian problem as well! :)

live627

Do we really want more date-related bugs? I'm sure I speak for all software devs when I say that any more date/time changes will make us even more insanely crazy.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I don't think they do, since they're the same as the calendar one puts on the wall and that's the Gregorian one.

It's possible that there might be some variations to this for specific cases though. I'd need to do some furious Googling to be sure.

Ian

On the subject of calendars, I had the idea of making December 90 days long and cancelling January and February. Just think:
* 90 days to get all your Xmas socials in "sorry I'm busy on the 28th but I can make the 77th"
* What is now Jan and Feb becomes part of the Christmas fun run
* That depressing day around 24th January now becomes an enjoyable 53rd December
* Xmas day is near the end of Feb, lighter and warmer and equally a chance of a white Christmas
* New Years Eve is lighter and warmer
* And then we are straight into 1st March for the New Year!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ian, that's crazy lol, but would technically work as long as the year overall would be kept to 365 days with a leap year every four years.

I like it, sounds like one big holiday during that period. :)

Back
Top Bottom