Top 10 Synthesizer Riffs Of All Time

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok, so not a song I like this time. These riffs are pretty cool and the enthusiasm of the presenter with that foreign accent makes for a fun video.

I love electronic music and it's interesting to see how specific sounds that we're familiar with from the big hits are created.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

StojanTim

YouTube has started showing me top rifts done on an old skool favourite. Love these for the simplicity:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

I am mildly terrified of a Stylophone, because I have a vague memory of having one in the house sometime in the 1980s, except for some reason it had Rolf Harris as a marketing tie-in...

StojanTim

Yep... and I am sure we had a Spirograph and an Etcha-Sketch too. How did we cope before the internet?

Arantor

Yep... and I am sure we had a Spirograph and an Etcha-Sketch too. How did we cope before the internet?
Well, I'm a little younger - firmly a child of the 1980s, so I had a ZX Spectrum and enough books of type-in listings to learn how to do my own things...

StojanTim

ZX Spectrum user here too!!

As obviously a bit older our first computer was a UK101 which needed all the components soldered together. Then we upgraded to the state of the art ZX80 then the ZX81. The Spectrum was amazing and I wasted a great deal of my childhood playing Elite, Sabre Wulf and Scuba Dive. Actually I recently bought a DVD off Ebay with all the CRASH! magazine scans on it, so could have a few hours of nostalgia.

Arantor

Born in '83 here, my folks had played so much Galaxians on the Speccy that the membrane under the rubber keys had broken, so my first memory of a computer is a Speccy in a dk'tronics replacement keyboard which of course looked nothing like the infamous Speccy of old! (It was: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1000123/Hardware/DKTronics_Keyboard that we had)

I do vaguely remember having a Spirograph set that was somewhat incomplete when I received it - we were a family that did a lot of rummaging at car boot sales and charity shops. I reckon pretty much all the computing books I had as a kid with all those type-in listings all came from charity shops, and is what led to my being a developer in the ol' day job today.

StojanTim

What did you go to from the Spectrum (if you did)? For me it was an Amiga, very nice computer, then N64 (GoldenEye another time sink!) before PCs took over the world. Though I'm a Mac user now.

Arantor

ZX Spectrum 48k -> ZX Spectrum +3 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 1200 -> various PCs -> Mac -> various PCs

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm sorry people, but you can't go confessing to having Speccys. 😲

Die hard Acorn user here (8-bit & 32-bit) so I might just throw my toys out of the pram if there's any more of this confessional nonsense. <Retro has best stern look>

Arantor

I'm sorry people, but you can't go confessing to having Speccys. 😲

Die hard Acorn user here (8-bit & 32-bit) so I might just throw my toys out of the pram if there's any more of this confessional nonsense. <Retro has best stern look>
By the time I was old enough to have any say in what we had in the house, the Acorn era was all but over. My parents are fully responsible for the above :p

Back
Top Bottom