Twitter to unban Donald Trump? Say it ain't so!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I knew I didn't like the acquision of Twitter by Elon Musk, taking it private. This so-called "champion of free speech" thinks the decision to ban Trump was bad:

Twitter's decision to ban the former US president was "morally wrong and flat-out stupid", Mr Musk told the Financial Times Future of the Car summit.

No it wasn't, it was a blessed relief.

While I have a Twitter account, I only use it for following people at certain times, which I did with Trump and Biden during the American election period. It was quite entertaining seeing him come out with those bizarre tweats, only for some of them to be reported as news items shortly afterwards. They were pretty tiresome too and unfortunately, they do a lot of damage, because so many people buy into his lies. This is why it was right and proper that he was eventually banned, and also from Facebook.

Trump is such a wheeler dealer and his own crappy social media startup, Truth Social, has done so badly, that I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in convincing Musk to buy Twitter. Note that this is only my supposition and not based on any hard evidence.

The only good thing is that Musk's takeover isn't yet complete, so we can only hope that something happens to stop it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've had a 6th sense about Musk taking over Twitter and I don't think it's exactly all that it seems. If you look back at Musk's business relationships you may figure it out. I don't want to sound all "conspiracy theory" and all, but I'm just not "all in" on his intentions.

Trump, just needs to go play golf somewhere. He was very polarizing and American's never got a break in the news. Everyday, it was harsh news, nasty and mean news and people always back-stabbing each other, rather then coming together, then there were all of the protests and burning buildings down....sigh...

I believe Trumps Truth Social is already in failure territory. I won't join it, not interested. I don't want to be part of a website that everyone just ....hmmm...can't write that word probably, but you know what I mean.....lots of complainers, inflammatory conversations, that only insight people's rage even more. I much prefer, mellow, calm and fun stuff. I can take news sure, there are some important news items to discuss, but a website that is built on people ...umm....fussing all day....naw...they can have it. Where's a kitty or puppy picture?

Arantor

Well, Musk's stocks in Tesla have fallen a little so he's going to have to find more money to buy Twitter if that's what he's still going to do. Plus he's raising heck about the bot population - like that wasn't obviously a problem beforehand.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Looks like Bill Gates isn't too happy about how Musk is likely to run Twitter (eg unban Trump) so is trying to derail Musk's purchase. I hope he succeeds and it's looking somewhat less certain now than it did a couple of weeks ago, too.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well, Musk's stocks in Tesla have fallen a little so he's going to have to find more money to buy Twitter if that's what he's still going to do. Plus he's raising heck about the bot population - like that wasn't obviously a problem beforehand.

I'm still suspicious about Musk and his play for Twitter. He's speaking the language of a Republican but anyone that has followed him enough knows that he's been a democratic voter. What I do care about is that the American people aren't played again. We had enough of the four years of Trump and Musk seems to be following some of the ways of Trump, to me.

Bot's.....and Musk is just getting around to that after he made an offer? :oops:This is why I stay skeptical. We have Alexandria O. Cortez, claiming she doesn't want her Tesla anymore. She's part of the Senate girl squad.
I don't like AOC
SpaceX is doing fine, but yes, Tesla stock is dropping; I'm sure he'll recover it.

Trump has said he won't come back to Twitter and he would use Truth Social. I haven't even peaked at Truth Social :LOL:

I just proof read this and it feels a bit hostile to me....it's not meant to be....just throwing that out there just in case ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Looks like Bill Gates isn't too happy about how Musk is likely to run Twitter (eg unban Trump) so is trying to derail Musk's purchase. I hope he succeeds and it's looking somewhat less certain now than it did a couple of weeks ago, too.

That's funny!! o_O

Arantor

If Trump is unbanned, it won’t be yet - and I am not sure that’s going to be a thing.

Musk came in, fired the moderation staff, fired a bunch of the techies (so it’ll gradually start to collapse without the institutional knowledge to keep it going), claimed nothing has changed about moderation, and then was 😲 when a bunch of major advertisers pulled their advertising, citing moderation concerns!

I wonder, though, if this is actually a way that forums can get in on the action. You see, Mastodon - the decentralised attempt at Twitter - is growing as a result, though it’s confusing a lot of people by way of this decentralisation.

Sure, individual forums are similarly decentralised but people don’t scratch their heads asking how they work…

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
IMHO, "decentralized" is Mastodon's gimmick. Never been interested and their claim to fame, does make their whole set up confusing to those that can't see through what they are doing.

I do think this is the moment for forum's and specialty websites to now shine. I think too many people are disenfranchised by loss of trust, I know I am. I'm feeling potential momentum for sure.

On Musk, I'm still a skeptic. Knowing his relationships and ties to other worldly people, I'm still not sure what is going on is authentic visually as a win for the "free speech" at the town square people as being touted. Thinking of other adjectives that may fit instead as a totally opposite intent. I'll leave it there. 😶‍🌫️

Arantor

Decentralised has a place, the problem is that Mastodon has no idea how to pitch decentralised as something comprehensible let alone a potential benefit…

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Decentralised has a place, the problem is that Mastodon has no idea how to pitch decentralised as something comprehensible let alone a potential benefit…
Well stated! I'll add to it...that most people just want to chat easily and anything complicated or time consuming causes them to move on.

Arantor

Whereupon, decentralised is not easy. And it has a few sneaky gotchas the way Mastodon implemented it, which will no doubt bite some people.

live627

Trump is such a wheeler dealer and his own crappy social media startup, Truth Social, has done so badly, that I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in convincing Musk to buy Twitter. Note that this is only my supposition and not based on any hard evidence.
This is how it started
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The only good thing is that Musk's takeover isn't yet complete, so we can only hope that something happens to stop it, but I'm not holding my breath.
It's a done deal. A lot can happen since the publication of that article in May, around six month ago.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's a done deal. A lot can happen since the publication of that article in May, around six month ago.
At the time I wrote this, he was fighting to get out of the deal. Shame he didn't succeed.

Back
Top Bottom