Twitter withdraws from EU agreement to censor information

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
We used to cite China, North Korea, Iran and Russia as oppressive nations that censored public information but now the EU wants to be the overlords of what they deem to be information that citizens are permitted to view.

Elon Musk pulled twitter out of some voluntary agreement so soon EU citizens may need VPNs to view Twitter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Looking at this video, seeing what the other videos are about, the channel description and his right wing pro brexit stance, I suspect that he's the one spreading misinformation.

It will take some time and effort to research this though to find out the truth of it. In particular, I want to read that EU website, which he conveniently hasn't linked to.

Crims

Wethermon
Thanks for mentioning a topic that isn't animals. I am opposed in general with censorship, though these are things we can change usually pre-Brexit. Were the UK to be controlled by a mafia we'd be in a much worse position than the EU. As for the example, this is fairly standard US billionaire stuff - disregard the EU as an entire whole and misrepresent it. I agree morally, however it can be summarised as "oh look, another moralistic hot take from a US billionaire" no actual accurate representation.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'll add America as wanting to be censorship and information overlords.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Looking at this video, seeing what the other videos are about, the channel description and his right wing pro brexit stance, I suspect that he's the one spreading misinformation.

It will take some time and effort to research this though to find out the truth of it. In particular, I want to read that EU website, which he conveniently hasn't linked to.
No, he is not spreading false information. The EU threat was made almost immediately Musk bought out Twitter.

It is the EU trying to enforce their opinion of 'disinformation'.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
No, he is not spreading false information. The EU threat was made almost immediately Musk bought out Twitter.

It is the EU trying to enforce their opinion of 'disinformation'.

Geffers
Well, it depends, doesn't it? If they're trying to block things like anti vaxxers, conspiracy theories, moon landing deniers etc, then I agree with them. In fact, my own Forum Rules specifically forbid spreading this kind of stuff, too.

If they're censoring legitimate news and opinion, then that's another thing. And yes, I know it's a blurred line as it always is with censorship of any kind, including moderation on NZ.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Well, it depends, doesn't it? If they're trying to block things like anti vaxxers, conspiracy theories, moon landing deniers etc, then I agree with them. In fact, my own Forum Rules specifically forbid spreading this kind of stuff, too.

If they're censoring legitimate news and opinion, then that's another thing. And yes, I know it's a blurred line as it always is with censorship of any kind, including moderation on NZ.
It wasn't about anti vaxers, the media across the World was censoring caution from legitimate medical professionals. The pharma and chemical industry has plenty of history of pushing medication or treatment then using financial muscle to defeat any legal challenges.

There should have been much more discussion before this was forced upon people under threat of losing their jobs.

If a conspiracy is weak then should be easy to defeat with legitimate argument.

Geffers.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Some good points there, especially this one:

The pharma and chemical industry has plenty of history of pushing medication or treatment then using financial muscle to defeat any legal challenges.

I remember there being scandals in the news about things like this.

Back
Top Bottom