Unlimited Portable Internet

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Saw this device advertised recently, the technology seems pretty straightforward but I am baffled by the cost.

The advert appears to suggest that for £24 one has unlimited internet access with no further recurring charges.

Am I reading the advert correctly?

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Sounds like a scam. Classic too good to be true offer. Never heard of that website either.

I'll look into it a bit more later. Will be interesting to see when the domain was registered.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Look at that registration date of 05.10.23: total scam. There will be other telltales, but this is a huge one and you need look no further.

1698569139989.png

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I didnt really even look in to it. I recall about 12 years back most of the mobile operators offered similar but it plugged into the USB of my computer.

I recall my late wife Marianne being so excited using one such device she ordered something off of QVC whilst we were in the car en route to visiting a relative.

That was cutting edge back in 2009

Geffers

Crims

Wethermon
I've found promises of unlimited services to always be untrue, as a base level of common sense. Fortunately we're not sharing the internet like latin american countries, and have decent internet for the price usually.

Mars

Staff Member
Saw this device advertised recently, the technology seems pretty straightforward but I am baffled by the cost.

The advert appears to suggest that for £24 one has unlimited internet access with no further recurring charges.

Am I reading the advert correctly?

Geffers
You are reading the advert correctly, Geffers, and no wonder you are baffled by the cost; what an easy way to kiss goodbye to £24

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I'm trying to think how it would work, it would have to connect to some mobile network and that network would then be happy to supply unlimited access for some agreed fee.

Unless there is some 'man in the middle attack' (or is is person in the middle now?) then the £24 risk is not exorbitant as purchase probably by credit card so covered of fraudulent. I personally would not buy it as looks too good to be true, in which case it probably is too good to be true but guess quite a few may try.

Geffers

Crims

Wethermon
I'm trying to think how it would work, it would have to connect to some mobile network and that network would then be happy to supply unlimited access for some agreed fee.

Unless there is some 'man in the middle attack' (or is is person in the middle now?) then the £24 risk is not exorbitant as purchase probably by credit card so covered of fraudulent. I personally would not buy it as looks too good to be true, in which case it probably is too good to be true but guess quite a few may try.

Geffers
Exactly my thought process, regardless of supposedly unlimited offers.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm trying to think how it would work...
They don't have to deliver anything. These things are done for short term profit and then to disappear, so they could easily simply not supply any product and then debit your card some huge amount in the hundreds or thousands, even.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
They don't have to deliver anything. These things are done for short term profit and then to disappear, so they could easily simply not supply any product and then debit your card some huge amount in the hundreds or thousands, even.
I avoid using a debit card online, don't think they have the same consumer protection as Credit Cards. The one debit card I occasionally use online is not attached to my main bank account. No matter how secure they say it is I don't trust them.

Geffers

Mars

Staff Member
I avoid using a debit card online, don't think they have the same consumer protection as Credit Cards. The one debit card I occasionally use online is not attached to my main bank account. No matter how secure they say it is I don't trust them.

Geffers
True, people lost money like that, money taken out of their account, gone, and the 'company' they have ordered the goods from is all of the sudden unavailable.....and the goods have never arrived.

Mars

Staff Member

Geffers
Same here. Never ever use debit card online. Only credit card.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Geffers
Indeed, it's foolhardy to use a debit card online for these reasons.

If nothing else, if a huge debit hits your credit card, it doesn't affect your cash flow and you have time to put a block on it and sort out the problem. With a debit card, it comes straight out of your current account and as you say, you don't get the same level of protection.

Mars

Staff Member
Indeed, it's foolhardy to use a debit card online for these reasons.

If nothing else, if a huge debit hits your credit card, it doesn't affect your cash flow and you have time to put a block on it and sort out the problem. With a debit card, it comes straight out of your current account and as you say, you don't get the same level of protection.
That's exactly it, and that's why it is so idiotic of people to continue to purchase online, on their mobiles, using their debit card. Yet they do.

Back
Top Bottom