• Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
What came first, science or technology? A classic chicken and egg situation.

This question isn't so obvious, because one enables advancements in the other. However, I think science came first, because at first we had nothing but our minds. Someone had to come up with an idea and make something out of it - technology if you can use that word for something thousands of years ago - which then enabled new ideas and insights and so on.

What do you think?

Mars

Staff Member
Yes, I would say science came first, in the sense that we now define science.

But, when you think about it, when early man started to fashion and use tools, he unknowingly applied scientific principles. Only he had no clue.

It is a bit like mathematics: Pure vs Applied. Pure=science, Applied=technology.

The engineer would use technology to build a bridge; but the technology he uses in order to build that bridge, is made possible thanks to his knowledge of the principles of pure math. He takes this knowledge, and applies it in order to built the tools he needs to build that bridge, and he makes his calculations using pure math.

So, Pure came first. Technology is, basically, the application of the science of Pure Mathematics.

I think so, anyway.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yup, that sounds about right, especially the bit below.

But, when you think about it, when early man started to fashion and use tools, he unknowingly applied scientific principles. Only he had no clue.

Back
Top Bottom