What is an internet forum?

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
It's too bad that social media and chatting apps such as Discord are killing forums off. I've always liked the sense of community that you get with a forum, which can't be replicated.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I don't know if forums are quite being killed off, but they're certainly being put under a lot of pressure by these other apps and aren't what they once were.

I think it's the combination of those apps and smartphones, especially. If you think about it, this type of forum is more suited to sitting down at a laptop or desktop PC than a mobile device. For example, right now, I've chosen to switch on my PC and reply to you on that rather than my iPhone as it's easier to write out this much text using mouse and keyboard.

XenForo does a good job of bridging the device gap, though.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
I think forums running on xenforo are certainly doing better than the ones on Vbulletin or PHPbb

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yeah, XF is definitely the one to get. I just hope they do eventually integrate a half decent article / cms function like vB and Invision have. It's the one thing that bugs me about it and it's a biggie.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
I was actively thinking about switching to Invision when I started my forum, but I'm glad that I stuck with XF.
People have been calling Discouse the future, but if that's the future I want to live in the past. I really dislike it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, I've been "advised" useless things like setting up a Facebook page, or Reddit thread by people who just don't get it.

Did you know that just one Invision renewal costs more than the purchase cost of XF?! And that's every 6 months, not a year.

If you're buying it new, it costs something like $850 for all modules. Admittedly, it's got a wider scope than XF, but damn you need deep pockets for it.

I remember when I evaluated the demo, it didn't seem as slick out of the box as XF, either.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes, I've been "advised" useless things like setting up a Facebook page, or Reddit thread by people who just don't get it.
You could use one to promote the forum, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement.
If you're buying it new, it costs something like $850 for all modules. Admittedly, it's got a wider scope than XF, but damn you need deep pockets for it.
Yeesh

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Advertising on Reddit might not be a bad idea. Once the logo is properly sorted out I'll consider it.

DIMIDEAS

It's too bad that social media and chatting apps such as Discord are killing forums off. I've always liked the sense of community that you get with a forum, which can't be replicated.

I know............Facebook groups and discord servers aren't the same.

I agree, I hate how social media doesn't have that sense of community like forums do. Facebook groups just feel like a random mishmash of people in one group making comments. Most facebook groups also have mostly noobs and not people who are knowledgeable like they are on forums. Facebook groups also limit the amount of images you can make in each comment. Forums are for super long posts.

Typing on your phone is a pain too, which is why I only use my laptop for forums.

As for Instagram, group chats make things suspectable to drama. I've been a part of that and it's not fun. Forums just feel more fun........and more private.

It's also a pain in the ass having conversations about a particular subject through DMs, since your phone would be overloaded with notifications. I miss not seeing the notifications when logging out of the forum, so you could reply several days later, while you were able to focus on other stuff during that interim period of being logged out.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Notifications are so helpful to me through email, which is how I know when someone has replied to a thread I'm subscribed too. Also like subscribing to threads. For NZ, I do rely on this method a lot so I can pop back in for a reply. :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Notifications are so helpful to me through email, which is how I know when someone has replied to a thread I'm subscribed too. Also like subscribing to threads. For NZ, I do rely on this method a lot so I can pop back in for a reply. :)
And yours truly is subscribed to every. Single. Thread. All 571 of them and counting. :cool:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
And yours truly is subscribed to every. Single. Thread. All 571 of them and counting. :cool:

That's funny and A LOT of threads!! :ROFLMAO: All good, fun, thoughtful, nerdy, deep thinking threads on NZ. :)

Arantor

I don’t subscribe to threads, the email traffic wouldn't be good, it would put me off because replying generates replies.

Also I’m personally not a fan of the “dopamine cycle” and FOMO - I come when I have the time, energy and will to properly engage rather than because an email tells me to, as for me this is a much more positive cycle of engagement :)

DIMIDEAS

I don’t subscribe to threads, the email traffic wouldn't be good, it would put me off because replying generates replies.

Also I’m personally not a fan of the “dopamine cycle” and FOMO - I come when I have the time, energy and will to properly engage rather than because an email tells me to, as for me this is a much more positive cycle of engagement :)

Precisely why forums are still better than using social media.

Arantor

Thing is, I still visit Facebook (because I have friends who only use FB) and I participate on Twitter (where I ruthlessly curate who and what I see so I don't get completely irate from the nonsense) but again, it's on my schedule - I don't use the mobile apps in either case so I can't be pinged with app notifications. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think depending on your lifestyle and schedule, subscribing to threads in an email dedicated to email alerts, not a main email, may be helpful to some. While I do like the alerts, I don't feel the alerts interfere with any organic natural response to view the thread and write back. It's still on my schedule.

As for social media websites, there are some with well designed hybrid designs that preserve the forum feel along with the short comment activity. I prefer forums for their structural design in encouraging thoughtful comments, rather then short comments, because I rarely can write out short thoughts anyway. I'm still on the fence about Twitter. I have accounts, but haven't utilized them. When a website is too big, your efforts get lost to me, which is why I also prefer a boutique social atmosphere where there's more familiarity.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm still on the fence about Twitter.
I created an account years ago purely for following and have only made a handful of comments. I don't think it's following anything at the moment.

The last thing I followed was Trump's account when he was still spouting off on there. His unhinged rants made for great entertainment and I could see that he was heading for a ban which made it all the sweeter and more hilarious when it finally happened. Just how humiliating is it for a sitting president to be banned from Twitter?! :ROFLMAO: No wonder he went mental over it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I created an account years ago purely for following and have only made a handful of comments. I don't think it's following anything at the moment.

The last thing I followed was Trump's account when he was still spouting off on there. His unhinged rants made for great entertainment and I could see that he was heading for a ban which made it all the sweeter and more hilarious when it finally happened. Just how humiliating is it for a sitting president to be banned from Twitter?! :ROFLMAO: No wonder he went mental over it.
I don't think Trump has any shame. 😶The DWAC merge with TMTG (Truth Social) may be delayed with all of this new drama going on with Trump. I won't shed a tear. Truth Social is a website built on the basis of anger. I try to run away from all of the negative input and the websites that bring it, as there is just an overload of bad news like never before in my lifetime. Truth Social is his mental house so he can live rent free in everyone's head while he name drops all of his issues.

Crims

Wethermon
Forums as a whole have their own culture, generally you expect a certain result from what they are about. If it's a coalescement of people it's not as much information for inspiration as a fan club for a game.

Back
Top Bottom