Why don't Americans use electric kettles?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The answer may surprise you and the fastest way to boil water in America will, too.

Nerd level: high

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

"All y'all tea drinkers are frightfully impatient!"

Yes. Yes we are. I want my tea, dammit. Proper tea, well stewed, with milk and two sugars.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I have a Krups electric hot water kettle. I use it all day long. :LOL:

Yes, tea drinker, not "earl grey hot" like Captain Picard, but I do drink decaf Rooibus and Mint tea.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh no, not the sugars! :p

Let me tell you a story.

Over 20 years ago, I had to have my tea sugared, two cubes please, or I just couldn't drink it. Then, I started work in a new place where one of the staff drank it unsweetened and encouraged those around him to do the same for health reasons.

I couldn't drink it without sugar, but I did drop down to just one cube. Over time, I too ended up drinking unsweetened tea and I was all the better for it. And that's how I drink my tea now for more than 20 years.

Fast forward to "a little while ago", maybe a year or so ago. I have sugar cubes for guests and thought I'd treat myself to one cube. Took a sip, spat it out. Seriously, it tasted gross like that! And, even though I still have a sweet tooth, I can't drink tea with sugar in it any more and am glad for that.

I have a Krups electric hot water kettle. I use it all day long. :LOL:

Yes, tea drinker, not "earl grey hot" like Captain Picard, but I do drink decaf Rooibus and Mint tea.
The Retro approvez of the electric kettle. :cool:

And it's great to see a fellow Trekky fan on here. Next Gen was my favourite and Voyager felt like an upgrade, but with slightly less interesting characters.

Arantor

I'm still disappointed by the choices made in ST: Picard season 2. And the underlying plot for season 2 was just... wtf.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
...........And, the network deemed it necessary to adjust their budget expense of the spaceship wars scenes and dive into a more soap opera drama thing. Though my husband and I didn't really care. We do laugh now when we watch an episode on TV, worse we can still recite the lines.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm still disappointed by the choices made in ST: Picard season 2. And the underlying plot for season 2 was just... wtf.
Christ, I can't even remember it lol to give you my opinion on it. I do remember that there were quite a lot of duff episodes though, particularly with Picard and his dad, touchy feely stuff like that. Gimme alien wars anytime!

I've seen the whole series something like three times now and I hope to all over again in another five years or so after I've forgotten it a bit more. I still remember how the whole thing finished after the seventh season for example. Not gonna spoil it here for unsuspecting readers of this post.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
...........And, the network deemed it necessary to adjust their budget expense of the spaceship wars scenes and dive into a more soap opera drama thing. Though my husband and I didn't really care. We do laugh now when we watch an episode on TV, worse we can still recite the lines.
No, get outta here!! 😂

Arantor

I've watched TOS and TNG countless times, I only came back to DS9 as an adult (even though I was a teenager on original airing) because I didn't 'get it' at the time. It was a different flavour of Star Trek to me. Voyager I sort of faded out the original time, but later rewatchings sort of held up.

Enterprise... had its hits and misses, could have done without the Riker insertion finale, that was utterly unnecessary.

Disco has a lot of issues - so much wasted potential in the cast, such poor writing especially writing that doesn't respect canon or logic (Airiam's entire existence, the lack of chain of command, the retcon of the Battle of the Binary Stars and the surprise new look Klingons with Voq's entire storyline)... just go away with that. It's not even about it being too 'woke' for my taste, it's simply that the writing is bad and does everyone concerned a disservice. Later seasons of Disco don't help it.

Picard, I wanted to like it but I somewhat feel that reducing Picard from this... practical pinnacle of righteous morality to bitter old man does no-one any favours, least of all Picard. I'm not sure how I feel about the TNG cast returning for season 3 especially given the character arcs of Rios and Elnor, the best characters in Picard.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Picard, I wanted to like it
Yeah, me neither. The first season was 10 episodes, but only got as far as 5 episodes before I gave up on it. I just didn't like the storyline or the feel of it. My mate watched them all and thought it was "great". Sigh.

wolfdeer

I'm beginning to think that I want an electric kettle. We have an electric stove but, it still takes several minutes for water to even THINK about boiling. Why, we Americans don't have these things, I don't know.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm beginning to think that I want an electric kettle. We have an electric stove but, it still takes several minutes for water to even THINK about boiling. Why, we Americans don't have these things, I don't know.
Welcome to NZ, I hope you like it here. :)

An electric kettle will be cheaper to run according to the video, too.

Arantor

I think the prevalence of coffee in the US where you don't normally use a kettle is likely it, especially as I believe you don't actually want boiling water on coffee as it damages the beans? (I don't know, don't like coffee)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thank you! I believe I will.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit.

My husband drinks coffee, drinks tea with cream (British style) and I'm all about sweet tea (vanilla stevia drops, stevia in the raw). The coffee percolator (a percolator to avoid plastics exposure) or the hot water kettle is in use all day. :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
My husband drinks coffee, drinks tea with cream (British style) and I'm all about sweet tea (vanilla stevia drops, stevia in the raw). The coffee percolator (a percolator to avoid plastics exposure) or the hot water kettle is in use all day. :)
If there was a cool face :cool: emoji I'd use it for this Like.

Back
Top Bottom