Why is HD 1080p?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's the full story of how we got here and it goes in great twists and turns to achieve it.

The video also shows a superb hi def 1080i demo from 1988 on a Sony TV before the current hi def standards had been finalised. Imagine seeing such a clear picture back then?! It's something that's even been surpassed now with UHD at 4x the resolution of Full HD and who's clarity really has to be seen to be believed. We even have 8K now, but that's nowhere near mainstream and may never be. One to watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
When I take the Northern Line tube from Edgware always fascinates me to see an X aerial still attached to someone's roof. Wonder what signals it picks up 😎

Astro What

When I take the Northern Line tube from Edgware always fascinates me to see an X aerial still attached to someone's roof. Wonder what signals it picks up 😎
Here in my neck of the woods most of the major television stations still broadcast OTA. Not everyone has access to cable or internet service and satellite is too expensive for many of them.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Here in my neck of the woods most of the major television stations still broadcast OTA. Not everyone has access to cable or internet service and satellite is too expensive for many of them.
If I recall the X antenna was from back in the day when households had a different aerial for BBC and ITV. I remember as a kid when ITV first started broadcasting we could always tell the 'rich people' because they had an extra roof aerial for ITV which was the X shape. BBC had an H shaped aerial. OMG I feel old, I do recall when UK only had BBC

Back
Top Bottom