Windows 11 (maybe)

CosmicCruncher

So who else is going to watch the super exciting What's next for Windows event on Thursday 24th July at 16:00 BST?

Have seen a few leaks of so called 'Windows 11' online, seems like a slightly reworked Windows 10 from what I've seen so far but they are only alpha builds. I hear rounded corners are in the works 馃槒

A couple of things that I would really like:
  • More UI consistency, Win 10 is still a bit of a mess in this regard especially when trying to navigate Settings / Control Panel.
  • I still miss the aero glass from Win Vista / 7 but sadly doubt this will be coming back.
  • Tabbed Windows Explorer would be very nice.
  • Larger window borders and more consistent title bar sizes / styles.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Damn, it's during the last hour of my work shift. Howver, I'm working from home, so perhaps I can sneak it in between phone calls...

The one thing I really like about W10 is its styling and the square-edged corners, in particular, something that no OS since XP had. Now they're going back to rounded corners, which is gonna piss me off.

chrisns

Only one thing I really want to see:
  • press F5, enter "L97:X97" and it starts up a copy of Windows XP

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
My ancient 2700K based PC actually won鈥檛 run W11 according to the compatibility check tool. However, it doesn鈥檛 say where it falls down.

Looking at the requirements, it鈥檚 got everything except for the TPM chip, so perhaps it鈥檚 that. The problem could even be that my CPU doesn鈥檛 have the required instruction sets that came out later, who knows.

Regardless, it鈥檚 annoying to have to upgrade when my system still has plenty of processing power left in it.

chrisgreen

Just looked, my current system is fine, except for the TPM chip. I have a header for Gigabyte's GC-TPM2.0_S TPM module, which is currently impossible to buy. Without it, would seem that upgrading to Win11 on my existing board is a no-go, so I would work on the basis that Windows 11 is a no-go, as I have no plans to rebuild my PC any time soon.

chrisgreen

Actually - scrub that - turns out there a TPM 2.0 module built into my AMD CPU. Needs to be activated in BIOS, but apparently is sufficient to keep Windows 11 happy.

CosmicCruncher

Here some Windows 11 info I collated this morning that may help shed some light on things.

Windows 10 Ongoing Support

Supported until 14/10/2025

Will run in parallel to Windows 11. Windows 10 21H2 still expected second half of 2021. Doesn't clarify if semi-annual feature updates will continue for remainder of its life though.

Source - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...perating-system-for-hybrid-work-and-learning/

Windows 11

Upgrades

Windows 10 can be updated to Windows 11 when released same as a normal feature update. Plan is for this to be a free upgrade for home users.

Hardware Requirements
There are new minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11. In order to run Windows 11, devices must meet the following specifications. Devices that do not meet the hard floor cannot be upgraded to Windows 11, and devices that meet the soft floor will receive a notification that upgrade is not advised.

Hard Floor:
路 CPU: Core >= 2 and Speed >= 1 GHz
路 System Memory: TotalPhysicalRam >= 4 GB
路 Storage: 64 GB
路 Security: TPM Version >= 1.2 and SecureBootCapable = True
路 Smode: Smode is false, or Smode is true and C_ossku in (0x65, 0x64, 0x63, 0x6D, 0x6F, 0x73, 0x74, 0x71)

Soft Floor:
路 Security: TPMVersion >= 2.0
路 CPU Generation

Intel CPU support list - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

AMD CPU support list - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Ongoing Updates
Looks to be moving to annual feature updates instead of semi-annual.

For TPM, if you don't have a discreet hardware based one, (not much consumer grade kit does, some motherboards do have a header for a proprietary module) as @chrisgreen says there is a firmware based implementation for more recent processors. Intel Platform Trust Technology (IPTT) or AMD CPU fTPM. If supported there should be a setting in the BIOS for this. I believe Intel introduced this from 4th gen (Haswell) onwards, I'm not sure how far back the AMD solution dates. Again v2.0 is a soft requirement so not strictly needed but the previous v1.2 is a hard requirement.

Also note as above Windows 10 will still be around for some time, so if you do have older pre 4th gen hardware without any form of TPM you can keep running Win 10 for quite some time and chances are you will be ready for a hardware upgrade by 2025. You will also notice in the soft requirements that there are no processors earlier than 8th gen Intel or 2nd gen Ryzen listed in the compatibility list from MS, this means you may get a warning when trying to upgrade / install Win 11 but it should in theory still function.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is garbage. TPM shouldn鈥檛 be mandatory on a consumer PC.

CosmicCruncher

Interesting post here showing some early signs of potential 7th Gen Intel CPU support. Nothing guaranteed though and it doesn't change the TPM requirements. It does give a bit more information on the decisions MS are making.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The joke is that they鈥檙e making a big deal of making the compatibility app more informative, like it鈥檚 some major technical challenge, when in reality it鈥檚 trivial. All it says now is that it鈥檚 incompatible.

Also, they talk about 7nth gen processors a lot. These seem to be the minimum spec, so does that mean that my second gen is missing required instructions or other features? I鈥檇 really like to know.

CosmicCruncher

Minimum spec is actually 8th Gen, 7th is speculation as we don't know if they will be supported in the final release. Also note first Gen Ryzen processors don't make the cut.

Back
Top Bottom